Living with uncertainty...

LCSC ADMIN

Uncertainty may or may not be part of your daily life. However, at certain moments during your survivorship, you may find that you are suddenly faced with a lot of uncertainty.

Examples of moments when you may notice that you are living with uncertainty:

Going in for a check-up and wondering if your cancer has returned

Thinking about getting married and wondering if you can have children

Trying to find a new job and wondering if you can get health insurance

It is also possible to experience a general feeling of uncertainty about what tomorrow is going to bring. Many survivors think that before cancer, they had fewer doubts or uncertainties. Having cancer can make you more aware of uncertainties, because you never expected to get cancer in the first place. You may find yourself thinking, “If I can get cancer, then what else can happen?” This general feeling of uncertainty in your daily life is a common experience for cancer survivors.

What are some suggestions for survivors who find living with uncertainty difficult?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the lobectomy two years ago and I was feeling confident that I was beating the odds. Three weeks ago a neurological problem surfaced - and it was a metastasis to the brain - small one, "discret" - so I had the surgery - and now? Some doctors say seven months, others say more -one said "be guardingly optimistic". I wish I could get an average survival figure for a single brain metastis...

Hi Lawapple....don't you go looking for statistic's b/c they don't refer to you....better to look at what are your options...No one doc can predict a 7 month life span...that's bull....

You go out there and get a second and even a third opinion....The fact that you had a lobectomy you probably were in early stage...and there are many here that have had 'met's' and are doing very well..

Don't give up honey...fight the good fight...take care and the best of luck to you...PamS.

Ooops...saw Lawapple post and replied to her and forgot to reply what the opening post was about...

As far as 'uncertainty"...Is ANYONE certain of ANYTHING....of course not...So that is how I try looking at things...hard sometime...but what a waste to go on for the rest of your life with the 'what if's"....

I pray a lot about it...and try to think positive....LC scares the bejeebie's out of you...and every time test time's comes ..Im a nervous wreck...every little ache and pain worries me....but you know what...I am working on not letting the fact that I had LC run my life...What's meant for me is not gonna miss me anyway....

I have been fortunate enough to have good test results and I thank God every day...but when my time comes..I will be ready..

Please God...not for a while yet..:-)

So I guess what I am trying to say...is think postive....take care of yourself...go for tests when their due...and love life

...don't let the freaking beast win...PamS.

Ooops...saw Lawapple post and replied to her and forgot to reply what the opening post was about...

As far as 'uncertainty"...Is ANYONE certain of ANYTHING....of course not...So that is how I try looking at things...hard sometime...but what a waste to go on for the rest of your life with the 'what if's"....

I pray a lot about it...and try to think positive....LC scares the bejeebie's out of you...and every time test time's comes ..Im a nervous wreck...every little ache and pain worries me....but you know what...I am working on not letting the fact that I had LC run my life...What's meant for me is not gonna miss me anyway....

I have been fortunate enough to have good test results and I thank God every day...but when my time comes..I will be ready..

Please God...not for a while yet..:-)

So I guess what I am trying to say...is think postive....take care of yourself...go for tests when their due...and love life

...don't let the freaking beast win...PamS.

Hi law,

I had my first surgery for single brain met March, 2004. Had 2nd surgery Feb 2006, one met again, same place didn't work...Just had Cyberknife (5) fractionated treatments here in California , go for MRI Nov. 13th. Odds are 100% effective 80-90% of the time. I can feel the results. As Martha would say, it's a good thing, lol.

Stay positive and you will survive and prevail..

God Bless and prayers

PS, Go to cyberknifesupport.org/forum

You can ask real doctors about this treatment at no cost to you...