Radiation Side Effects - My Dad

karenlaureti

Hi all,

I am going to visit my Dad on Sunday for a week. I live in Philadelphia and he lives in SC. I can't wait to see him as I just want to be near him and give him support. He was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer the beginning of December. He is on the end of his second week of radiation. 2x a day and chemo once a day. He has another full week of radiation next week. I guess what I am asking is, he has been feeling great so far, and I know that he may get side effects. Since he is starting his 3rd week whil I am out there, wondering what I may expect to see. I want to be totally strong for him and prepare myself. He is everything to me. Any advice you can give me on how to support him would be greatly appreciated, plus what I may expect symptom wise. Thanks so much! This is such a great site with such helpful people! :P

I am not familiar with the tx for SCLC, but I know radiation can begin to really knock one down. So he may be hitting the fatigue period by the time you arrive.

I just wanted you to know, Karen, that as a fellow Pennsylvanian, I am sending my very best wishes and positive vibes along with you. I am confident you will be strong and encouraging for Dad. Take my support along.

Kasey

Hi Karen,

We all handle this stuff differently although most symptoms are common. The difference is mostly in degrees.

During my treatment I had no problems at all for the first couple weeks. After that it got to be the fatigue and no energy stage. Also about then I started having throat pain and difficulty swallowing. I'd guess your dad may be experiencing any of those symptoms and it would be normal.

About the only thing I recall was that I was extremely grumpy any time I was trying to get food down and at times I was so fatigued I just told everyone to get away from me and leave me alone. If you get any of that response just take it with a grain of salt. It's not meanness, just a reaction to all that's going on.

Hope all goes well for him and for you and your family.