Post op shortness of breath

Guest Cheryl Schaefer

Guest Cheryl Schaefer

Dick is experiencing this. Am told this is normal. Does anyone have any hints on how to improve and/or when some relief may be expected?

Thanks, Cheryl

Cheryl,

I developed a pleural effusion on the left side after a right side pneumonectomy. Had to go up on the Oxygen, and stayed that way for 4 months. But during that time I walked, and the left lung expanded overall, then during a PFT test when I breathed very deeply the area in the lower lobe that was collapsed reexpanded fully (I felt it happen) and I haven't needed oxygen badly since. There have been times when I did need it, and I used it. I could tell because my head and heart were pounding, my legs felt like they were made of lead, and I was exhausted. I live in a trilevel house, and the stairs can be rough on me at times. Anyway, It's a bit soon for Dick to be doing any vigorous inhalation, etc. He should be following the guidelines set up for him by the Surgeon, Respiratory Therapy Department, using the Spirometer.

Hoping things improve for him soon.

Fay A.

Shortness of breath is to be expected after lung surgery. When I had my surgery it was several days before I was able to get off the oxygen. After the first surgery my right lung was not cooperating and did not expand as it should. After 11 days in the hospital I was sent home with a chest tube still in.

Dick should get up and walk as often as possible, as it will help the lung expand and get back normal, if there is a normal after lung surgery. Even today I suffer shortness of breath on exertion. The other day I was in Milwaukee and had to walk up a slight hill, and got short of breath. I just slowed down, continued to walk and eventually my breathing was almost back to normal. In playing golf, sometimes I get short of breath. When that happens I just slow down and let my breathing return to normal. Otyherwise I try to lead a pretty normal life.

I hope this information helps. The shortness of breath will not go away completely. Dick will learn, over time, what he can tolerate and what he can't tolerate. You will also learn from him, as my wife has.

Cheryl,

Buddy had it too. they put him on oxygen in the hospital after the removal of his left lung and he said that was a God send. When he came home he had it here but after a number of weeks did not use it. He still talks about how hard it is to breath at times. He still walks for exercise but is still holding on to the "do no park signs" at different times to get his breath before proceeding forward. Had a lady stop again the other day after seeing him holding on to the post and she thought he was having a heart attack and wanted to ride him home. One block away how many neighbors can there be left to want to offer him a ride.....he told her what he tells everyone who has stopped in the past that the sign was falling down so he thought he would hold it up for awhile....

Tell Dick to walk as much as possible at the hospital for it will help a great deal. It is hard but it does work....