Topotecan

laban

Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience with a 2nd line chemo, Topotecan for Refractory SCLC with bone mets?

Any input with your experiences would be helpful so I can get a better understanding of what to expect. I realize everyone is different and responds to treatment differently, but it may be helpful to know others who have been through the treatment.

This site has been such a help to me. I read posts several times daily and know what many of you are going through.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any information.

Laurie

Laurie my wife was on Topotecan and it did not seem to help but she was able to tolerate it much better than other drug's she was given. But you can not go by how it worked for my wife as i know a lady with breast cancer that has gone to her bone's that it has kept the bone cancer from spreading out of control going on 4 year's now......

Laurie:

Dr. West, who frequently posts here and does a live chat session with LCSC members every couple of months, discusses topotecan a few places on his own website -- for example:

http://onctalk.com/2007/01/07/treatment ... rent-sclc/

If you post your question on his SCLC forum you should receive a prompt response:

http://onctalk.com/forum/sclc/

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Dear Laurie

Keep in mind every person is different. My mom had 3 rounds of topotecan. She had no real side effects until the last one. Then her blood counts dropped and she needed 3 transfusions. This probably could have been avoided with procrit. Unfortunately, she still had disease progression during treatment. But there is a good chance it will work and that is what we want to look at.

Sending prayers.

Lisa

Hello Lisa,

Sorry your mom had to go through such a difficult time. This sclc is a beast to keep under control.

My husband has a recurrence and will start Topotecan soon. The Dr has decided to try once per week for three weeks with one week off and then another once per week again for another three. We'll see how he tolerates it.

I appreciate your input. It's nice to hear how others tolerate medicine, although I realize everyone is different.

God Bless you,

Laurie

Hello Lisa,

Sorry your mom had to go through such a difficult time. This sclc is a beast to keep under control.

My husband has a recurrence and will start Topotecan soon. The Dr has decided to try once per week for three weeks with one week off and then another once per week again for another three. We'll see how he tolerates it.

I appreciate your input. It's nice to hear how others tolerate medicine, although I realize everyone is different.

God Bless you,

Laurie