Ulcerative colitis

Jyoung20

Hi Jamie,

I don't have cancer, but I have Crohn's Disease, which is a "sister" to U.C.

I just wanted to let you know that if the doctor's put you on any medication for it - (ie, Asacol), make sure you eat something with it.... it will probably make you nauseated if not.

If there's anything I can help with, please let me know.

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago, and it can be managed, if you watch out for certain things.

Take care,

Nova

Hi Nova,

Thank you!! He did put me on a medication called Colazal. I have to take 9 pills a day. He said if this drug works then I won't have to take the next step to steroids.

He did not mention a thing about diet. Have you adapted your diet at all. Do you stay away from certain foods?

Thanks again for all of your help..

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I remember the doctor that diagnosed me in the hospital, telling me to "watch what I ate, and avoid stress"... LOL! (I asked him which planet I should move to, to "avoid stress"!!! :shock: He was a goofball, and I have a much better G.I. now!)

Everyone is a little different, but it's generally a good idea to stay away from spicy food, onions, too many raw fruits and veggies,~ things like that. They don't usually "sit well" .

You might want to make a list at first, of things that you eat that make you feel bad, and then avoid them.

You may have to take steroids every so often, (if you have a flare-up), but usually only for a week or two. They help, and you aren't on them long enough to experience the bad side effects from long term use.

If the medication you've been put on doesn't seem to help, there are a few others, so don't give up hope!

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, on top of everything else.

Take care,

Nova

Hi Jamie

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about two years ago, just after Mum died. I believe it was probably brought on by stress, although the doctor told me that they really don't know what causes it.

I find that I can control it pretty well with medication, but it is definitely exacerbated by coffee and fatty/oily foods. The coffee especially - instant coffee doesn't seem to bother it too much, but I can't drink proper coffee at all anymore :( . Fresh fruit and veg aren't a problem for me.

Hope this helps, and that your condition can be easily controlled.

All the best,

Karen

Hi Jamie,

As a fellow UC sufferer, I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I developed UC after my last Taxotere treatment in March '06. It took about 3 months of 6 Asacol tablets a day to go into remission. Thankfully, I've never had to take steroids for it, and I haven't had any flares since the initial diagnosis. I'm now taking Lialda, 2 pills once a day.

Good luck and I hope you get it under control quickly. I know how disheartening it can be.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Trish