Sometimes, I'm just stunned. . .

So mom saw the oncologist today. My brother went with her and this is the first time he has been able to go with her to the Dr since her Dx in Jan '07. So I talked to mom afterwards and she told me they would give her radiation and more chemo. Ok. So tonight I called my brother we had a long talk about the Dr. visit and then he just floored me by telling me that he never knew she had lung cancer until tonight.

How on earth is that possible? It has been 16 months! It is not that he has been inattentive, but mom was in denial for a few months and told him that they didn't know where the cancer came from and she never told him any different. It just boggles the mind. So I had to tell him everything tonight.

I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry so I did a little of both.

Susan

Hi Susan. I would have done the same. Laughed and cried. Probably not uncommon for some patients to not be comfortable with using the lung cancer word given it's stigma and that is totally understandable. And it doesn't really matter, cancer is cancer and it's crap!

I can totally relate to this, my husband is still reluctant to admit it is lung cancer. His symptoms are all from the bone mets so he talks to everyone about this tumor on his right shoulder, never about where it started or where all the other are. I let it be... denial is understandable I guess and since I am the researcher and the "big mouth" in this duo it is okay I guess!

I am glad your brother finally went to the dr and knows more details now, should help you to have in more informed maybe.

Deb

Susan,

Could it be that your mom thought she had told him. Otherwise, I can' t imagine her letting him go with her if she was trying to hide the fact. I don't know what to say except maybe your Mom just wants to think positive. She sounds a lot like mine. We all deal with things differently. Sorry you are feeling so heartbroken. At least he does know now , which I would think is a good thing. Hang in there , Susan.

Hugs,

Sue