Scan Update

Janette

Well the doc had initially said if the tumor had reduced by 50% he would get another 2 rounds of cisplatin/navelbine. So that is of course what we wanted. Unfortunately it did not reduce by 50% BUT fortunately he is still getting the 2 bonus rounds.

Doc did confirm that while it did not reduce by 50%, it did reduce a little bit. Much better than the alternative, but beggars can't be choosers as they say and sure am learning about that. Doc was on the fence as to whether to continue but basically left it up to Mark, he has been taking the chemo so well doc said it could not hurt if he takes the extra 2.

I asked what happens after this is done, Doc says they will then monitor, every 2 months chest xray, every 4 months ct scan. Is this the norm?? they say he has rec'd the max on radiation and this is the max with this chemo. Because they said initially he is treatable not curable will they not try anything else??

and thanks for the prayers, you guys are definitely the best!

Hi Janette. I am so sorry the news was not better. But some shrinkage is better than none. I would not let it go at just finishing the next few treatments. I would ask about other drug options. There are many and I can help you with some of that info if you need. Your husband may need a bit of a break first though before proceeding with anything else. You should update the signature piece in your profile. That would help us to understand what stage your husband is at, what treatments he has had already and what others some of us know are available. Please take care

Sandra

Janette, any shrinkage is a good thing. I don't understand why your husband coudn't have treatments with other chemo. My husband would stay on the same chemo as long as he was tolerating it and that there were positive results. When a certain chemo quit working, the doctor would try another. Every case is different and every person is different, so what works for one may not work for another and vise versa. Sometimes, it's just a matter of trial and error. I would question the oncologist on this one and or get another opinion. My best to you both.

Sue

Janette. I have found that there are different treatment protocols in Canada versus the states. I always go into my med oncs office loaded with info from this site. You need to explore all options with your med onc. Staying on current drug, trying a different one. I have gotten my med onc to agree to break protocol with me. Says if I can tolerate it then I can stay on longer. Protocols are different in each province I believe as well. Get lots more info and continue advocating on your husband's behalf.

according to Dr. West www.cancergrace.org, based on a study presented at the ASCo conference (dedicated lung cancer annual conference), going "directly" from first line chemo to second line chemo may be the way to go if the patient is otherwise up to it. Definitely worth discussing with your oncologist. Here's the post:

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2008/06/06/ ... -followup/