Giving up?!?! *Update*

Caren

My dad just seems to be slowly giving up on any hope that he had a few weeks ago :(

He had a really bad week last week and I feel that it's knocked his confidence. He doesn't want to do his daily walk to the shop anymore and has barely gotten dressed the past few days. He doesn't want to eat, or even attempt eating, so I have spoken to the Doctor and they have prescribed Ensure Plus drinks for him.

Also yesterday he was rambling a lot and wandering off during conversation. He was asking me and my husband things that really didn't seem to make much sense.

I don't know if it's only the Chemo doing this to him or if he really just can't be bothered with the fight.

He sees the Chemo-nurse tomorrow, before starting his next cycle of Chemo on Thursday, so I think that I may have a private word with her while we're there.

Hi Caren

Sorry to hear you're Dad is not feeling so well. I know that chemo will affect people differently. For me it was that I became very agitated. The chemo nurse said it was a side effect of the Decradron. So I think you should certainly discuss it with the nurse. I also didn't have an appetite a few days during chemo.

Hi Caren. I am sorry to hear your dad is not doing so well. Yes, mention any and all new symptoms to the chemo nurse but more importantly to the medical oncologist. If you don't see the doc soon then I would actually phone in, particularly regarding the strange ramblings, etc.

Your dad is obviously suffering from the ill effects of chemo. And boy can I tell you about those. And when you are not feeling wel, and when you are tired, and when you are not eating right and when your body is taking a kicking. Well all those things can just add up to not feeling well mentally and definitely have an impact on your outlook towards treatment, survival and hope. I have certainly had those times and have been through 3 rounds of chemo. But the good news is, if we can get through the treatments, and off of the darn drugs for a bit. Then we can start to feel better all around and our outlook can change. I don't think there is a survivor here who would tell you they have not had their down times, paritcularly when going through treatments.

Remember it is not your dad that is talking to you...it is the darn nasty drugs.

If he is not eating very well, please try and get as many fluids into him as you can. That really helps in the body coping with the chemo.

I hope he starts to feel better soon. How many rounds of chemo has he had? Tell him to hang in there and tell him he absolutely will feel better after he is done this round.

Take care of your dad and yourself too please

Sandra

Thank you both once again.

Sandra, it is the ramblings that I find particularly worrying. He isn't due to see the Oncologist until 6th of next month. I will give it a little while to see if that improves and if it doesn't then I will give him a call and see what he suggests.

He has just finished one cycle of treatment and starts the 2nd on Thursday of this week. They are hoping for 4 cycles, but said that they will know for definite if they are going for the full 4 once he sees the Onc next, to determine whether or not it's working. They said that if it isn't showing any shrinkage or if there's more spread at that stage (Beginning of 3rd cycle) then they will stop the Chemo b/c it won't be fair on him to have all the symptoms but with no results.

We are back from his visit with the nurse.

His BC is too low for Chemo tomorrow and so that has been put on hold, possibly until next week. His LFT was off too and she was very concerned with the way that he's walking.

She said that he looks to ill for Chemo tomorrow and wouldn't be giving it, even if is BC was good. She is also a little concerned about the confusion.

This is what we have planned now...

He was already booked in for a 'Whole body bone scan' tomorrow and then would of been receiving the results on the 6th of next month when his next visit with the Onc is booked for. So he will still have the scan tomorrow and she's bringing the appointment with the Onc forward to next week to discuss everything else and get the results of the scan sooner.

Caren x

Oh Caren. I am so sorry. I know this is terribly worrying and honestly not a great sign if it is only after his first round of chemo. Low blood counts do happen to many of us though...me most recently and they are still down. Sounds like your dad is not in great shape though. Stick with your plan and take it day by day. And do not hesitate to call the clinic if anything else changes. I hope that he improves enough to continue with chemo or maybe proceed with another plan. I have had chemo that just wasn't for me...kicked my butt too bad, and have moved on to other plans. Thinking of you and your dad

Sandra

Caren

I never did chemo so I don't know the answers to your concerns there - but I do know it is a very good thing that you got the onc appt. pushed up. That is something I have gotten better at - 2 years ago I would have waited the month to see the doctor - now If I have a concern - I am on the phone. Also - waiting a month for scan results was crazy. This will be better - you will have the results quicker and the oncologist in front of you to answer your questions.

I agree with Milli - make sure your dad is hydrated -

and God bless

Janet