South carolina Run!!

RandyW

There's a new sign taped to my computer, one with a quote I am trying to incorporate every day: "Just stop complaining and find a creative way to be part of the solution."

I read it in an article a while back, then promptly tore it out and stuffed it into a handbag that ended up way in the back of the closet.

I found lots of other things left in there when I took it out -- some change, my favorite reading glasses, a few hair clips and a cosmetics bag full of expensive products thought to be lost forever. I was working up a good stream of complaining about the fact that I had only recently replaced the makeup and spent valuable time looking for the glasses when the quote fell out onto the floor.

I think I might even have complained a little bit about having to lean over and pick up the piece of paper before the message started to sink in.

How many times that day had I already been cranky about silly things that didn't go precisely my way? And maybe even more to the point, how much more time did I plan to waste in exactly the same way?

Thanks to the well-placed reminder, I am hoping it won't be much more.

After all, lost items will always have a way of staying out of sight. But the negative time spent complaining? That's something even extra makeup can't hide.

Caine Halter Lungs 4 Life There is nothing that stops a complaint midstream as effectively as someone who has spent his life focusing on the positives all around.

On Nov. 8, the Caine Halter Lungs 4 Life 5K Run/Walk and 1 Mile Fun Walk will be held at the YMCA of Greenville-Caine Halter Family Branch, 721 Cleveland St. The race is held in memory of Caine Halter, an active member of the Greenville community and local businessman. Halter was a non-smoker who lost a 13-month battle with lung cancer in August 2007.

This will be the first race in South Carolina dedicated to raising funds for lung cancer research. All proceeds will go to Uniting Against Lung Cancer, a nonprofit organization dedicated to finding a cure for lung cancer.

Inspired by Halter's courage and grace, his family and friends are committed to honoring his memory by raising funds for lung cancer research so that others diagnosed may have a fighting chance to live.

"This event means so much to each of us in the family because it has given us a vehicle to give back on Caine's behalf," said Laurie Halter, Caine's widow and event co-chair with his sisters Debbie Bell and Laura Sardone. "We want to make people aware of this disease and help fund research that is critically needed so that we can provide hope for others diagnosed with lung cancer."

The race will begin at 9 a.m. with the fun walk; the 5K run/walk is at 9:30. Participants may register on site at the YMCA on Cleveland Street or Fleet Feet Sports until Nov. 7, or from 7 to 8:30 a.m. on race day. Participants who register in advance are strongly encouraged to pick up race packets at the Y prior to race day. Packets can be picked up from 2-8 p.m. Nov. 6 and 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Nov. 7.

Bell said the event is planned to make a difference in funding research.

"Lung cancer is the No. 1 killer of men and women in the United States, yet it receives the least amount of research funding. To see a statistic like this when you have someone you love fighting the disease is shocking and disheartening. We want to make a difference with our first run/walk and fund at least one $100,000 grant through Uniting Against Lung Cancer this year."

Registration fees received on site or online by 8 p.m. Nov. 7 are $25 for the 5K and $15 for the fun walk. Race day registration is $30 and $20, respectively. For more information, visit www.lungs4life5k.com or call 250-4018.