In Memory of His Mother

Barb73

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 399566.stm

ARTICLE:

. . . . . . . . .

Golfer's drive for cancer support

Golfer Colin Montgomerie has launched a Christmas appeal to raise the £3m needed to fund a new cancer care centre being built in memory of his mother.

The Elizabeth Montgomerie Building is being set up in association with Maggie's Cancer Care Centres and will be based in Lanarkshire.

An interim centre at Wishaw General hospital is already providing support to cancer patients and their families.

The Ryder Cup captain's mother died of lung cancer in 1991.

Announcing the project in February, the 45-year-old golfer said he wanted to create a "lasting and valuable legacy" to her.

Lanarkshire was chosen as the location for the new centre due to its high rate of lung cancer diagnosis.

Colin Montgomerie has visited the interim centre, which currently provides advice and support services, relaxation sessions and Tai Chi classes for cancer patients.

It has helped more than 2,000 people since it opened in April 2008.

The golfer said: "The support the Elizabeth Montgomerie Foundation has had so far has been magnificent and I am grateful to everyone who has helped us raise money.

"We still have a long way to go to reach our fundraising target."

"This centre is badly needed as it is located in an area with some of the highest cancer rates in the world."

He added: "It will be the proudest moment of my life when I open the Elizabeth Montgomerie Building."

. . . . . . . .

(BBC News,co,uk/Scotland/Glasgow, Decembr 7, 2009)

Disclaimer:

The information contained in these articles may or may not be in agreement with my own opinions. They are not being posted with the intention of being medical advice of any kind.