Monday's Air

Bud Baker

Good morning, everyone! It was 67 degrees as I rode to work this morning. Forecast high is 92.

Donny, good to hear from you, but sorry you're battling pneumonia again. Eric, they got our office air conditioning fixed Friday afternoon. By the time I left work, the temperature in my office had fallen from 93 degrees to 84.

Saturday was a hot and humid day, as well. The 200k brevet I rode was a challenging route, too, with lots of hills and rough roads. There's great scenery, though, some very nice views from the top of some of those ridges. The route goes from Cleburne to Glen Rose, then past Dinosaur Valley to Bluffdale, then back.

I felt good and rode well. The friends I was riding with were on an easy pace, tapering their training down before their ultra racing at The Texas Time Trials later this week. Even when they ride what's an easy pace for them, I can't usually keep up on a route as hilly as this one, but I stayed with them pretty well on Saturday. The hills on the return ride always seem tough, especially Dinosaur Hill, which pitches up to a 17 percent grade near the top.

With the 200k, plus four days of riding to work, I had a good mileage week on the bike last week, 228 miles. Sunday morning, I got up and went fishing. With the water surface temperature still being 84 degrees at Lake Granbury, the crappie were still in their summer pattern. I'm curious to see what happens when our fall weather finally sets in, since I haven't fished for crappie in the fall there, yet.

Have a great day, all!

Good morning all!

Bud, I watched the video on the Dinosaur Valley Park, and how cool is that place! Actual real footprints from the dinosaurs. Wow. I've never seen anything like that before.

Congrats on such an awesome accomplishment with that hilly and long bike ride. Good for you!

I'm at volunteer work and having a blast. Do need to call the doctor again. *sigh* I've had a sore spot in my throat (does not feel like a typical sore throat) for weeks now. I kept hoping it'd go away, or that I was coming down with a cold. But it's there every day, it does not change, and it hurts. Of course you know I'm fearing: the C word again.

I'm trying to not worry, but I must admit to this forum that I am worried. I have a friend that survived throat cancer, and I emailed him this morning to ask what his symptoms were. But no matter what I just have to back to the doctor. I'm so sick and tired of doctors I could just puke. Seriously!

Just found out that my Uncle was diagnosed with mouth/throat cancer and it's in his lymph nodes. His wife died of lung cancer 3 years ago. He quit smoking decades ago, but was an avid cigar and pipe smoker. He's 70 years old, and what is ahead we don't know yet.

Aren't I just a ray of sunshine today!

Well the sun isn't shining here either. Was 57 as I drove to work, and is cloudy and gloomy. Fits my mood.

Judy in MI