It's something

ts

The plan is 3 cycles, one every three weeks, then scan and go from there. I think Dr. C would like to see 4-6 cycles with carbo - I think 3 or 4 will be plenty for me. Then we can talk about maintenance with one or two agents. But no plan till the scan. The third will be off schedule a few days due to President's Day - and with a substitute onc as mine is out. I'm kind of interested to get a different perspective.

I do have Zofran at home - it's just I was fine for 2 or 3 days and then it hit out of nowhere! I took one right after yesterday - and again last night when I started to feel off. The nurse I spoke to this yesterday suggested that next round I take it for 4 or 5 days after the infusion. Hard to believe taking Dex would make it better either...maybe just being stubborn. No nausea today. But still very tired.

I was surprised - they have pushed all my drugs fast - even did Avastin in 1/2 hour the first time (I thought they were to take 90 minutes to watch for a reaction?). Alimta is 10 minutes, and Carboplatin, I think, 30 minutes.

Thank you all for the concern. It's pretty nice to whine to people who get it. Good weekend to all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephanie, with me the Avastin was the biggest culprit but I never felt worse than the time a chemo nurse ran my drugs as fast as they would allow. Some of the chemo nurses were experienced enough to know but because of one, I had to request that my onc write orders for the triplet over a 5 hr period. Made all the difference in the world. Don't go with that "well I think I'm o.k." thing. Just take the Zofran. It works better (like laxatives) if you stay ahead of the problem. I got a year's remission out of my triplet with Avastin maintenance for the balance of a year.

Hang in there and whine away. We're here to listen and we do understand.

Judy in KW

Judy in KW

Hi Steph,

What a time you are going through! I second KW Judy, take the nausea meds. I took mine 5 days ahead of the treatment and 5 days after. But the carboplatin just plain made me sick. No matter what I ate, it tasted like metal. My poor husband had to get very creative to encourage me to eat. I did eat, because I had to, but it was not good. I lost 35 pounds.

And if you are in pain, take the pain meds. Be sure you stay on top of the constipation too. But don't be shy. Give yourself permission to stay on the couch. Your body is going through an onslaught of medications that are designed to kill the bad guys but also the good guys.

I'm sorry, I feel like I'm lecturing you. I don't mean to. I just care.

Hugs and prayers for you!

Judy in MI

Thanks again - I was convinced that carbo is so much easier than cis that it is hard to get myself to medicate for it. I am taking it very easy - and did feel much better by last night. Eating is off a bit, but taste buds aren't affected yet. But being interested? Not so much the first week. But we will go out somewhere this weekend, and I will enjoy it.

I've lost about 25 pounds in the past 2 1/2 years - luckily, I could afford it! Last time I weighed this, I was working out with a trainer and running 30 miles a week - so the body doesn't look quite the same.

Judy in KW - you had Alimta as maintenance, correct?

Stephanie, I went into remission with six rounds of carbo/taxol/avastin. I continued on Avastin as maintenance for the balance of a year. I was in remission six months and went off Avastin. Continued in remission for another six months and then progressed. Dr West called my Alimta second line. I was in remission again for a few months before it moved to my abdomen so for that length of time, I guess you would call it maintenance.

So glad you are taking it easy AND planning on getting out this weekend. Sometimes I believe it's just giving into our reality and playing it by ear day to day.

Judy in KW