Jump to content

Should I be worried?


Flyman35

Recommended Posts

I will start with the fact that Tom is a 3 year stage 4 lung cancer survivor. The latest PET results from Friday have me worried though and I looking for opinions. We have a routine follow up appt with the Onc on 2/15 and are thinking of calling in the morning to move it up. The Pulm did not seem to like that that appt was still 3 weeks away.

The PET was ordered by the pulmonologist after a routine CT was marred by a bad case of pneumonia which landed Tom in the hospital for 5 days last month. The CT showed that the right hilum could not be evaluated due to the consolidation in the right lung from the pneumonia. The Pulm says to talk to the Onc and see if he thinks another round of chemo is warranted.

Findings show:

There is minimal faint increased activity associated with the soft tissue attenuation in the right hilum, SUV value less than 3. Although evaluation is limited without intravenous contrast, the soft tissue densities in the right hilum have increased by about 1 cm, superiorly presently measuring 3 x 4.7 cm compared to the prior 3 x 3.7 cm, and in the right infrahilar distribution presently measuring about 2.2 x 3.7 cm compared to prior 2 x 2 cm.

Impression:

Slightly more prominent soft tissue attenuation within the right hilum, but SUV values are less then 3. Findings are nonspecific, low to moderate suspicion for malignancy.

Very close CT surveillance of the chest is recommended.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Denise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if this is an immediate worry....to my untrained eye it looks like there is cause for suspicion of growth but the changes are slight and they suggest watching it carefully.....if it were me I'd try to get in sooner to see if they should retest with contrast just to be certain instead of the watch and wait...but I'm not a medical professional and I've never had any patience. :wink:

I think asking Jack over at GRACE to see if maybe he had any insight into next steps might help to answer some of your questions until you get into the onc.

Idk, 3 weeks may not be a difference maker in this case and watch and wait may be the only thing they can do... call the Dr. and hear what he has to say- might put your mind at ease.

I hope you can get in sooner and get some questions answered. Until then, I'm keeping Tom and you in my prayers.

(((hugs)))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first thought was like Katie - ask over at Cancergrace.org. Seems suspicious that this follows a bout of pnemonia - there is usually some "swelling" and "activity" during a recovery period. Seems to me that they should redo the PET with contrast after a short recovery period (couple of weeks). The low SUV numbers as stated still indicate some activity and warrant another look as the doctor suggested. Like always it seems to be a piece of "hurry up and wait" - but we all know that patience gets us nothing here - I would try and get them to follow up the PET and check the SUV numbers since the doctor is already technically recommending another round of treatment.

Annette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I agree with Annette and Katie too. 3 weeks seems like such a short amount of time, and yet it's not if you are worried about new growth. I was curious of the PET results that followed the CT.

I think you'll get sound medical advice at cancergrace too.

MI Judy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.