Port Question

Janet B

Hey everybody, I am wondering if those of you with a port can help me out. I have a port, a duel Lumen. Not a power port (that is a whole other story!). Anyway, it seems everytime I go for scans I am told something different. sometimes the CT scan people say they can't use my port, sometimes the MRI people say they can't. This time the MRI people are saying they can and the CT people are saying no. It is very frustrating because the reason I got the port in the first place is that my veins are so bad and hard to access. Anyway, if any of you have a non power port, can you tell me whether you can use it for your scans or not? Also, have any of you felt bad pain as they inject the contrast for scans? Last time it felt like my veins were going to explode! I hate having this one more thing each scan time to stress over!!

Thanks for any help!

Janet, I've never had a port, so I can't answer your questions. I have to wonder, though, just how much the "that's just the way we've always done it" factor comes into play.

I've never had real pain from the contrast, just the feeling that I'm on fire.

Janet - I had a "power" port, so I know that is not the type you are asking about. However, my port never worked properly - it would not "draw", but it would "infuse". I think Bud has a point - it depended on where I was if they would use it or not. When I first started going to Seattle they would use it sometimes, and other times would not. The last few visits they refused to use it at all - but the local center here would use it every time although they required a CT scan w/contrast every 6 months (aside from my normal scans) to "prove" that it was working. Now I've develolped an allergy to the contrast. :( I know this is no help, but I wanted you to know that I do understand your frustration.

Well this is kind of discouraging for me (it's okay, I'd rather hear the down side than go into it thinking it's the cat's meow.) I get mine in next Wednesday.

Yesterday was my first infusion of Cisplatin and Navelbine, and I was wishing I had a port. I don't know which one hurt more, but my vein was on fire through the whole thing. Today my forearm is very sore at the site of the IV, and it hurts up the vein. AS long as I don't touch it, it's fine! So I'm not touching it!

MI Judy

Judy - I don't want you to be discouraged. I am sure they are probably giving you a power port and most people have no problems at all. My problem with the port was physiological. Because I don't have a left lung at all, the surgeon put the port in on the left side - my onc thinks because he was worried about puncturing my right lung - but that turned out to be a mistake and the reason it didn't work properly. I finally had it out this summer, and will not hesitate to have another put in - on the right side this time - when the day comes I need more chemo. I think you will be very glad you have one.

Diane

Thanks for your replies everybody. it turns out that I was told that they could use the port for the MRI and Bone scan, but not the CT scan. So, I went to the best nurse in the infusion room and had her find the biggest fattest vein she could - she got one on the first try. This is why the other nurses call her the vein whisperer. so, with a big line and a big vein, the tests went off very smoothly. No pain this time. they said that the pain was probably because my vein was too small, the line was too small and it was too close to bone.

Any way after all that and all my tests, I got a completely different story. now they say they can use the port for the CT scan but NOT for the MRI. sheesh, I really think it depends on how hard the technician wants to work that day!!

So, I think as Long as I can get Maria the nurse to put a line for me I will just be satisfied with that and use the port for blood draws and infusions.

Anyway, Judy, don't be discouraged. as far as getting blood draws and infusions, the port is wonderful. It makes everything go so much more smoothly and it is more comfortable having the line in your chest rather than your arm. Plus no more bruises where they stick you! Just demand a power port. And try to get a straight answer before your tests about whether they can use it!

Peace!