Question regarding hoarseness of voice

jim1013

My best friend has NSCLC adeno with tumor isolated in upper lung. He's been responding beautifully to about 6 rounds of chemo now and as the cancer cells continue to decrease, so does his voice. Anyone happen to know why voice is hoarse and if there is anything he can do to improve his voice? He still works and needs his voice like we all do. It's frustrating. He's seeing an ENT later next week I believe, but I thought I'd jump on here and ask you all.

Also, just some good news, is that his cancer cells have dropped sharply from mid 20's to 12 just during his chemo treatments recently. Is this a good indicator or pretty typical? I heard "normal" people have 3-5 range for cancer cells too. I don't know, but Doc seems to be really impressed by this. Thank you all for your support, this website is a great tool for many in need. -Jim

Jim this is probably due to location of the tumor. My wife had same problem and was diagnosed because she lost her voice to the point where she thought she had Laryngitis. The tumor is probably pressing on the vocal cord at some place.. I think this is repairable but as her tumor shrank her voice got better. that was kind of our indicator of how her treatments were going. voice got worse things like treatment changed Voice got better treatment was working. I think surgery was an option but because hers sometimes was better she did not go that route. And I think I had looked into speech therapy as an option but she did not want to pursue that because usually her voice was understandable to everyone.

Hi Jim, it's good that he is seeing a ENT about this. I too have a hoarse voice from all of this. I did have surgery and they figured that a nerves in my lungs connected to my voice box were cut. I think the same can happen with treatment! We have nerves that go to our throat in our lungs. The ENT did tell me that I could go to 'voice therapy' to get my original voice back if I wanted. It would not have been covered by insurance, so I didn't do it. But I was not losing my voice. It just changed. So maybe insurace would cover it for your friend!

I hope so. Glad you came here to see.

Judy in MI

Jim, I really don't know how to answer your question about the 'drop in cancer cells'. I've not heard anything worded like that before.

In your first thread you wrote "Also, just some good news, is that his cancer cells have dropped sharply from mid 20's to 12 just during his chemo treatments recently. Is this a good indicator or pretty typical? I heard "normal" people have 3-5 range for cancer cells too. "

Maybe someone else here will know what that means? I just don't have experience with that. So hopefully soneone will pop in that knows what that means!

In the meantime, have a good rest of the weekend!

Judy in MI