New to this forum and scared !

Tipoux

Hello,

For the past 6 weeks I have had a pinched nerve in the neck that then radiated down me left shoulder and arm. I have no numbness or tingling sensation.

I went te ER and had a chest x-ray and neck x-ray that came out clear. Was told it is a trapped nerve or repetetive strain injury from working at the computer.

Two weeks later, I went to a different ER and had another chest x-ray that came out clear and a shoulder x-ray. They found a small lesion on the cortical shaft of humerus of the shoulder x-ray.

I have had many blood tests will have results on December 2oth, a mamogram and will have a bone scan on Jan 3rd 2012.

My question is, if they suspect lung cancer (they have listened to my lungs, asked if I smoked and checked my fingers for clubbing (no clubbing), why are they not ordering a ct scan or MRI ?

Will the blood test tell them if it's lung cancer that has mets to the bones ?

Can two different x-ray miss advanced lung cancer twice ?

I am so scared, I can hardly function.

Could the lesion have been there since I was young ? They say it's an incidental finding and there is a slight possiblity that it is benign. If that is the case, why all the cancer tests, why not just biopsy the lesion to see ? I think they already know the prognosis and want to make sur before they tell me. Again, why not a CT scan or MRI if they suspect lung cancer ?

As for the neck and shoulder pain, it is getting better, still there but not as painful.

I really need some positive feedback.

Ps: I have been reading a lot of your stories and I think you are some of the most courageous people I have ever heard about.

thank you.

Hi Tipoux, and welcome but sorry you found a need to be here.

I am not sure why you think they suspect lung cancer. If they did - then yes, they should be doing a CT for sure. But what you have described sounds like pretty typical things they do and would not indicate to me that they suspect lung cancer specifically. Anytime you are in a situation where you don't know what is going on it is very frightening and I think we all tend to assume the worst.

If you haven't, the first thing I would do is make a list of questions and ask the doctor and don't give up until you get answers. Then if you feel they are not doing what they should be -- get a second opinion, even a third if necessary.

You could also run your quesions by the doctors at cancergrace.org. This is a site where you can sign up and ask questions of experts in the field. Obviously they cannot diagnose anything, but can clarify what would be expected to be normal tests, etc. They are very helpful and it is a great site.

From your description, I am very hopeful lung cancer is not a problem. I hope that whatever it is turns out to be very minor, and you can put this behind you very quickly.

Please let us know how things go.

Diane

hope nothing serious as LC.. think positive and hope for the best news ... could be arthritis also maybe or something not as serious as LC !!!