Hello

Sarah Louise

Hello. I joined the group for support and information. My father, 79 yr old nonsmoker, was diagnosed in June with stage IV NSCLC with mets to hip, sternum, and spinal column. Has EGFR mutation and taking Tarceva, 1st line. Has rash and diarrhea, is also extremely fatigued. Have read that rash and diarrhea are expected. Is extreme fatigue also usual?  

Sarah,

I had Tarceva in combination with Taxol and Carboplatin during my 4th line treatment. I did experience very severe rash, diarrhea and was very tired. I'd had Taxol and Carboplatin during 3rd line treatment and suffered no rash, diarrhea and some fatigue for a couple of days after infusion. So, likely his side effects are from Tarceva. 

Here is a tip. To control diarrhea I was advised to start each day with plain steamed rice. Not processed rice but the kind that is used in Asian recipes. It worked, quite effectively. Traceva laughed at Imodium but respected the rice. 

Welcome here. You'll have more questions so feel free to ask away. 

Stay the course. 

Tom