Dad has recently been disgnosed with metastatic cancer to lymph nodes.....NSCLC...carcinoma

DaniD

Hello all! In september 2016 my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. He had a 7cm tumor on his left lung. He went through 4 cycles of chemo and they were able to surgically remove it. In april 2017 he beat that battle. A week and a half ago he got the metastatic to lymph nodes diagnosis. It is in his neck nodes and cannot be surgically removed. He will be doing a 3 cycle chemo trearment with carboplatin/alimta/avastin and then a PETScan to check progress. 

Anybody have experience with any of the 3 meds mentioned above?

Good morning, Dani.  I've had both carboplatin and alimta, but in different combinations (alimta with cisplatin, carboplatin and taxol).  Both had their own pesky side effects. I recommend checking chemocare.com for information about the drugs. The site is run by the Cleveland Clinic and I found it to be very useful. The best tip I can give is to make sure your dad is completely open with his medical team about any side effects. There are so many meds to help manage the effects. Keep us posted.

For sure. Thank u for the advice and guidance! During his last chemo run in 2016 he did the cisplatin with alimta with no side effects until cycle 2. This round he was lightheaded DURING cycle 1 and within 3 days is sick. :(

Were your chemo treatments effective? If u don't mind me asking? I know all cases are unique but am curious. #worrieddaughter

Dani,

I'd consider my treatments a success. Here's a quick history: I was diagnosed in February 2016 and had chemo April through June.  A recurrence was found in March 2017 so I had chemo and radiation. Another recurrence in August 2018  and SBRT. Last CT showed shrinking nodule and no new spots. 

Archived