Pleural Effusion

JCM

Has anyone had fluid removed from their lung for pleural effusion due to lung cancer that has spread beyond the chest wall? Did it help?

JCM,

Lots of folks have fluid removed to deal with a pleural effusion. Normally, this eases breathing and reduces pain and pressure. I'm not sure I understand the effusion in terms of cancer that's metastasized beyond the chest wall. Normally irritation of pleura tissue causes the build up of fluid and the irritation is generally due to metastatic activity in the pleura. 

Stay the course.

Tom

After first diagnosis of pneumonia after loss of breathing I was admitted to ER and stabilized with oxygen and breathing meds. Then pleural effusion lung was drained successfully of 2 liters of fluid and discharged after 10 days of pneumonia treatment. Now on oxygen 24/7.

Readmited when lung refilled and SCLC discovered by biopsy after lung drained again. SCLC chemo then administered by oncologist, and chest catheter placed through back into right lung as liquid continued to drain. I refused procedure to paint lung advised by pulmonologist after palliative care Dr advised I could refuse, but as predicted by oncologist chemo stopped fluid drainage 2 days later and catheter was then removed and I was released after 3 weeks. I have since had 2 more chemo treatments and lungs have remained clear of fluids.

Archived