Hello all. My dad has just been diagnosed Stage 3b

Guest Elizabeth

Guest Elizabeth

Hello

I have been reading here for a couple of days, and thought it might help to be in contact with others going through the same thing.

My dad's diagnosis is below. The chemo doctor hopes that the treatment she is proposing could cure him completely. My hope is that it will shrink it enough to be able to operate, and remove the left lung.

My main concern and worry is how we will deal with the situation after all the treatment, if it turns out that the treatment hasnt helped and that he has advanced to the stage 4.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Hi Elizabeth

My mum was diagnosed with stage IIIB, with a possible rib met, and we were waiting on a bone biopsy to determine whether it was stage IV, and trying to decide what to do treatment wise for whichever stage it turned out to be (my mum also gave up smoking 28 years prior!!). It is such a difficult time, and so hard to know what is the right thing to do. Mum's bone biopsy turned out to be positive, so the choice was effectively made for us. I believe, that had the disease NOT apparently spread to the bone yet, Mum would have gone ahead and had a pneumonectomy. However, it IS possible for metastasis to have occurred, and not necessarily 'light up' a scan. A subsuequent pet scan showed several more bone mets which may have already been present, just too small to show up at the time the original scans were done. So, had Mum gone ahead and had the lung removed, she might now be battling stage IV with only one lung instead of two!

On the other hand, there are people who have had a lung removed and have no further evidence of disease, and I am sure you will hear from them too!

Basically, you just have to make the best decision you can with the information that you have. The important thing is to NOT rush things. Take some time to absorb what the doctors tell you, and do as much research and ask as many questions as you need to. Pretty much everyone here has been where you are now, so if you want to bounce some ideas around, it's not a bad place to start!

Wishing you all the best.

Karen

Elizabeth,

Welcome to our little place. I'm sorry you had to seek us out, but so glad you found us. There are a TON of folks here who've dealt with all forms and phases of this disease and I know you'll find the information and support you'll need as you travel this road you and your Dad are on.

Seems to me you're already "borrowing trouble" by worrying about what's going to happen IF your Dad's treatment doesn't work and IF he advances to stage IV. I think it's WAY too early to start worrying about that. You're Dad's treatment hasn't even started yet. Why not give it a chance? There are a LOT of folks right here on this board who STARTED OUT at stage IV and are still here, still working or doing the things they want to do. In today's world lung cancer does NOT automatically equal a death sentence!

Don't worry, though. This "leaping and bounding into the dark night" is something I think most of us do when we first hear the words "lung cancer". Then we read all the grim statistics and just go further into the pit of fear and depression. But, like I said, there are a lot of folks here who've shown that statistics aren't the end all, be all. Not by a LONG shot!

So, for now, I would suggest trying to take things one day at a time. Your Dad is alive today. He sounds like he's in pretty good health today. He's fighting this disease today. It sounds like he has an aggressive medical team today. So enjoy today! Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Oh, by the way. On that "borrowing trouble" thing? The problem with borrowing trouble is that you always have to pay it back ... and the interest rates are HORRIBLE. So don't ... ok? :)

Prayers going out for you and your Dad. I hope ... no ... I KNOW we are going to hear a lot of GOOD news from you in the future.

Dean

Hi, Elizabeth, and welcome. Yeah, try not to worry about what might happen. It will be enough to cope with what does happen in this life. I am always leery of anyone who can "cure" cancer -- that's just me. I don't think anyone can ever give you a guarantee. On the other hand, I believe in being optimistic and looking forward with hope. Hang in there. Don

Hi:

As you see in my signature I am a Stage I that went to Stage IV. I have had 2 surgeries, 2001 and 2002, I went to Stage IV, April 2003. All total I have done battle with lung cancer 4 times now, 2 surgeries, 1 chemo with clinical trial, 1 strict clinical trial. At the present I have no active cancer. I talked with the clinical research assistent assigned to me by my oncologist and apparantly my oncologist has a couple of things planned after my vacation the first week in March. One procedure is a clinical trial on a new diagnostic procedure. Researchers at the Unversity of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center have just completed animal studies with a great deal of success, now it is time to start human studies. I have looked over the protocol, and although there are minimal risks, as there would be with any new procedure, I am going to enter the trial. My belief if the results of this trial prove that lung cancer could be diagnosed earlier, at a low cost, it would be beneficial in the fact the it would contribute to earlier and better treatment, and to extended life.

I tell you all this, in the hope that you will realize that lung cancer, even at its worst stages can be and is surviable. The key is atitude. I fully realize that right now you may be dealing with any number of emotions, from "Why Dad", denial, depression, anger, hate, and a number of other emotions. Believe me when I say that all of us who have been around for awhile have been through all the emotions many times. Most of us are are anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs. These drugs assist us in maintaining a quality of life for us to enjoy.

As hard as we try to get away from cancer, we have daily sutle reminders of our disease. It may be seeing scars from surgery, to the different pills we have to take on a daily basis. We, however, manage. In the warmer months of the year I play golf almost daily. During the colder months, I do alot of advocacy and activism work for lung cancer. It is important to stay active and involved in a daily routine as much as possible. Maintain your friendships that you have, both for you and your Dad.

We are here to help and provide support from the standpoint of firsthand knowledge of having lung cancer. We have caregivers, such as yourself, who fully identify well with what you are going through. Don't be afraid to lean on us.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Elizabeth,,, your post sounds like mine! My dad too just got diagnosed IIIB. all this is new to me. im not sure about alot of his stats, just thought id let you know that someone here is in your situation! if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me. Seeing is were in the same boat, maybe you can answer some of my questions, or maybe i can answer some of yours! Tell your Dad to stay strong! Jamie :D

I'm am also in your same situation. My dad was DX in 09/03 and went through carb/taxol for 5 weeks and 6wks radation (5x a week). After the PET was taken the lung tumor shrunk 50% it was golf ball size before and the lymph node are was still glowing though visibly smaller. He was sent back for 3 more months of chemo and we were just back to scan result time this week. The verdict is that we still don't know ANYTHING!!!! They can't see the nodes but the tumor area had a pleural effusion around it and some questionable looking tissue around the perimeter of the area where the pleural effusion is. :roll: I really am hoping and praying for scar tissue from radiation at this point but it is yet to be determined!!! I don't know where we will go from here if it is still tumor so I'm just waiting very impatiently and dreading the appointment this Friday when we find out!!! On a good note however, my dad handled chemo very very well (outside of fatigue and losing all his hair) . Radiation was a little rough afterwards because they all seem to report of a terribly sore esophagus which makes eating nearly impossible. I get hope from some of the other 3b's on this board who are doing well and stable at this point. I know how scary it is to watch your father go through this; it's very very painful. Have hope though; even though my reply may not seem so positive, I really am!!!!! I feel that there is still reason to be hopeful and maybe my dad will be having his surgery sooner than later too!!!

Good luck and blessings to you. I will pray for your father; I know he will do beautifully!!!

Apparently my login didn't take on that second (Guest) message so finally; the last long (Guest) message was from me. Yes, I am completely inept when it comes to computer skills! It's a wonder I ever found you all!!! :oops::oops::oops: