Cisplatin + Etoposide What to expect?

Laura42

My dad has SCLC but not quite sure what stage yet. Very large tumor but PET scan showed no metastasis.  He wasn’t able to go through with brain MRI today so they need to schedule brain CAT scan. I had posted earlier very concerned but now am feeling a bit better about his prognosis at least in the short term.

Dad is scheduled for chemo Monday. Cisplatin + Etoposide on day 1 then I think Cisplatin only on days 2 and 3. Then 2 weeks off. I am trying to figure out when I should visit. Also doing research to help my parents know what to expect. Any advice? Any good resources on chemo side effect management?

Thanks ❤️

Hi Laura .. I'm so sorry about your dad. There are some really wonderful folks on this site.  My wife finished up first line treatment for SCLC back in April so you are welcome to check out my posts for info but keep in mind that everyone is different when it comes to treatment reaction.

The etoposide is all 3 days while cisplatin is on the first day and typically occurs every 3 weeks for 4 times (4 cycles) and maybe up to 6 times if warranted. In general no metastases means NOT stage IV but don't hold me to this. I believe that there are some rules about size (7cm) that might make it stage IV. I've forgotten some of my early research. If any cancer is found in his brain, that means metastasis and stage IV. He may be stage III like my wife; she had a mass just under 7cm.

Etoposide + cisplatin is standard first line treatment for inoperable stage II and III SCLC. My wife received chest radiation at the same time as chemo (concurrent) which is a really aggressive treatment. Has there been any mention of radiation? I mostly remember the radiation issues so have to check my notes on chemo issues. I do remember some early severe nausea but that was under control with medicine.

If you are okay with it, let us know as much info about your dad and his treatment. We can help on this site. I was one of those that researched the heck out of it. I still would do the same as that is just me (engineer) but as said in your other post, you have to be careful because things are changing fast right now with cancer research.

There are very few of us that post here in the SCLC group. You are welcome to post where ever you prefer but folks looking for help with SCLC probably start here. Ask me anything and I'll try to help.

Steve

Archived