A poem - After A While

Snowflake

The first time I ever saw this was just before I went away to college in an Ann Landers column. It seemed so fitting for someone going through first heart aches, home sickness and growing into womanhood... I have had my laminated copy just "pop up" many times since then and it so seemed to fit the occassion at hand - from a husband overseas through the Army to childbirth, to divorce and the death of those close to me. I thought I would share it with those of you who have may never seen it.

It is rather melancholy, but there are parts like "decorate your own soul" that just stick out there...along with sunshine burning if you get too much... The analogies put me to mind of a flower garden, yet speak of life, as well.

After A While

Veronica A. Shoffstall

After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul.

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning and company doesn't mean security.

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises.

And you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes ahead with the grace of a woman,

not the grief of a child,

and learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans

and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.

So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers. And you learn that you really can endure, that you really are strong, that you really do have worth.

And you learn, and you learn. With every goodbye you learn...