Molecular/Genetic Typing

My mom had her Right Upper Lung nodule ( found incidentally on CXR) biopsied on May 7 at MDAnd erson by the Pulmonologist. We met with the Med oncologist on May 23. On the first meeting she told us it was AdenoCA with one positive LN. Stage 3-4 . She had also a nodule on the e Left which was not biopsied but lighted up on PETScan. It might be 2 primaries he said., which makes it Stage 3 or it might be Mets which then make it Stage4. 

He did not want to start treatment because he was still going to order molecular typing on the biopsied tissue . ( I did not realize the tissue biopsied 2 weeks prior was just sitting in the lab waiting for the Med Oncologist to put the order) . Anyhow he said he’s going to order a Liquid biopsy that might have a quicker turn around time. 

It’s now exactly a month from the Endobronchial biopsy , and 2 weeks since we saw the Oncologist. We had a telephone visit yesterday and he tells us , the molecular test to look for mutations is not out yet. Thus we cannot start treatment .He tells us maybe next week the result will come out.

I cannot believe that the premiere cancer center in the world has a long turn around time . Or did they messed up something? I am getting worried.

Does anyone have any experience how long results of molecular test comes out after biopsy or if it is sent right away after the tissue was brought to the lab . Her Robotic Endobronchial biopsy and everything like scan, PET were all done at MD Anderson.

Any input appreciated.

Written

• 4 weeks later...

@Balasang, your post seems to have gotten lost in all the different groups here.

In the event that you haven’t learned this yet, tissue-based genetic testing takes at least three weeks to complete. I have no experience with liquid biopsy, but you can read about it here. Select Biomarker Testing from the left menu, then scroll down to the section on how biomarker testing is performed. 

Based on the location and size of tumor in my lung, my doctors decided to start me immediately with radiation and chemo, the standard of care at the time. 

I hope there’s been a plan of action developed by now. I’ve found I need to follow up on anything the doctors say. Most recently, my doctor said she’d have the scheduler call me for next check-in visit. When I hadn’t received a call after a day and a half, I called them. Unless I am under the kind of care where they are doing stuff regularly, I *always* schedule my own CT and MRI appointments. 

Remember, you can always seek another opinion at a different cancer center. 

The National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship has created a free publication to help you become an advocate in care. Download or read it at their site

Balasang,

I'm a 20-year lung cancer survivor who's been connected with the lung cancer community for a long number of years. In my experience, a molecular biopsy result can be expected about 2 to 3 weeks from the sample collection. Of course, there are many variables: holidays and weekends being the most typical.

I live in Texas and know many who've been treated at MD Anderson, and their experience has been very positive. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions happen and it sounds like your mom's medical oncologist order initiation delay is an omission. I've found the practice or hospital portal to be a useful tool to poke practitioners. Also helpful is contacting the cancer nurse navigator at Anderson for intervention.

I do hope this resolves quickly.

Stay the course,

Tom

Hi.

I had a RLL segmentectomy on June 5. I have been receiving the genetic results over the last week with the most recent one coming on Friday (3+ weeks after surgery) so the timing sounds about right.

Best of luck as the treatment path is charted.

Aimee