Still Waiting for results

mittlers

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to be able to post scan results by now but mom was not able to get her scans until yesterday and we will get the results Friday. She is not feeling very well all the sudden this week. She finished her last round of chemo three weeks ago. Dad says she is so weak that she goes to bed at 5:00 pm and does not get up until around 7:00am. Then she sleeps most of the day. Her throat is very sore (she did not have radiation) and she has several sores in her mouth. I just wonder if the same "chemo" sores she has in her mouth are also in the throat area. The doc gave her some medication for this but it is not helping. So she also is not eating very well and is using her oxygen again 24 hours a day. I'm wondering if she needs a transfusion as she was close to needing one a few weeks ago. Anyway I will post as soon as we get some results of her scans. Please keep us in your prayers.

God Bless,

Susan M.

Susan,

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom is not feeling well. I'm praying that she is just worn out from all the chemo and the scans will be clear!! I'm sure that she could use a break! Praying extra hard for her right now!!

Bless you Susan

Laurie

Tired and no energy certainly come with the territory. Hugh had low blood counts last week and we struggled with the decision of whether or not to have a transfusion. In the end he decided against it and he is better this week, but I think after talking with everyone here I would encourage him to get one the next time. Its worth a call or trip to the doctor I think when their not feeling good. Like Katie said, it could escalate into something harder to deal with. I am learning that prevention is easier than trying to deal with the problems after they have gotten away from you.

Hope things improve!

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I have not posted sooner but I just got the results today of the scan and I had to sneak and get them myself ( I work for the same multi specialty group that did her scan) She will get the official results from her oncologist on Wednesday. Her scan was last week on Wednesday. I cannot believe the doctor did not call her yet with the results. :x Anyway my mom does not know that I peeked but it was driving me crazy. Her scan showed considerable decrease in her mediastinal mass and her liver mets have shrunk by 50%. It did show some infiltrates in the lung that were not on the last scan but I'm not sure what that means. :? She also has a mass on her adrenal gland that did not change since the last scan. She is not scheduled to have any more chemo at this time. It will be interesting to see what the doctor suggests. It makes me a little nervous taking her off chemo but I think she needs a break. She is feeling really weak and hardly able to get around. She is agian using her oxygen 24/7. I just want to know if they stop chemo for a while will the tumors start to grow again right away. I guess that is a question for the doc. I will keep you posted after her visit.

Thanks for all your support!!

Susan M.

Susan,

Thanks for the update on your Mom. Katie's advice was good, it does sound like she needs a little break from chemo. I hope that she is going to get some rest and give her body a chance to recover from the treatments and get hydrated. Please let us know what the doctor says and know that you and your Mom are in our prayers.

Bless you

Laurie

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your support. Mom had her appointment today with the oncologist and he was very happy with the results. He stated that the lung mass had shrunk almost completely but there still is a few spots on her liver. He is going to rescan her in three weeks to see if the spots on the liver shrink any more. It seems like the liver mets did not respond as well as the lung mass. If the mets have not shrunk in three weeks he will suggest that she start another round of chemo using different drugs. He does not want to wait and allow the cancer to get ahead of them. My mom has called all my bothers and sister and told them she is now cancer free. :? I quess that is the way she interpeted the visit. I don't think that she understands that the mets in the liver is cancer. I quess I will let her have her excitement and not spoil it for her. She may start chemo again as soon as three weeks. If that happens she is not going to be a very happy lady. But for now she is on cloud nine. Her counts were very low so she was given another shot today. I hope that this helps. The doctor told her she does not need her oxygen I just think she is afraid to go without it. Maybe now that she has proof that her lungs are better she will try a little harder to do without it. Katie and Laurie did either of your parents have to continue chemo and for how long?? I appreciate you listening to my story. It sure is a rollercoaster ride sometimes.

Thanks for your prayers,

Susan M.

Katie,

Thanks for your reply. I quess those liver mets are very stubborn. It sounds like both our parents had the same thing SCLC with mets to liver. I hope that mom can take at least a one or two month break so her counts can recover. I pray your Dad's x-ray will be good news. Keep us updated.

Thanks again for all your support.

Susan M.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Susan,

I'm so glad to hear your Mom got good news! My step-dad hasn't had a scan done on his liver yet, we only know the chemo's making a difference on his lung. Your Mom seems like she's handling the news the same as my step-dad, which is worrisome to some family members. I agree with you though, let them be happy for every little thing, because getting discouraged and only getting bad news for weeks or months on end is no good for a strong fighting spirit!

I hope your Mom gets a break from the chemo, and you might take a nice hot bath yourself! It's easy to concentrate on our loved ones fighting this illness, but please remember that you're fighting too :wink:

It sounds like your MOm's results were good!!:) My mom is finishing her last round of chemo this week and then she will get those scans. We are praying for squeaky clean scans!!!! My mom's onc said she may get a break from the chemo, may have to continue for a few more sessions. We shall see. I am praying for the cancer free that's for sure.