"Beating Cancer With Nutrition" - too good to be t

I'm devouring this book by Patrick Quillin. it makes perfect sense to me, but I'm wondering if it's just too good to be true. I'm following his advice, a ton more veggies, no sugar, etc. I'm just really confused on what kind of supplements I should be taking. Everything on the internet confuses me - one site says "do this, don't do this", another one says the opposite - sheesh, it's mind-boggling! Not to mention, the doctors don't believe in nutrition at helping at all. At least not with the cancer.

His survivor's stories are compelling in the book, though. Any opinions?

Joyce

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Joyce, I have that book too - the revised edition. I believe in it but have trouble following it as I've always been a nervous eater & love junk food. I have read numerous books - first hand experiences of people who survived by following nutrition plans - even when told they had as little as 6 weeks to live. Most of their nutritional plans were somewhat different but the basics of what they ate and what they avoided are very similar to what Patrick advocates.

A couple more books that might interest you:

A Cancer Battle Plan by Anne Frahm with David Frahm

Recovery from Cancer, Elaine Nussbaum

Cancer Diagnosis - What to Do Next - An Alternative Medicine Guide by Diamond, Cowden, Goldberg (this one though has some confusing info & advocates alternatives that have caused patients problems like Laetrile & Hydrazine Sulfate)

I believe nutrition can make a difference. I believe excellent nutrition can lead towards a 'cure'. Meditation makes a difference. Creative Imagery makes a difference. Herbs and vitamins make a difference (be careful here - research them thoroughly as some can have adverse side effects)

Exercise can make a difference.

I also read Gerson Therapy and Macrobiotics - original book - both are good but I think Patrick's book is the best because it's easier to follow and gives what seems to be the basic guidelines toward curative nutrition (what foods to avoid - what foods are anti-oxidants, etc.)

Joyce,

I too have read Beating Cancer w/ Nutrition backwards and forwards. I've had the discussion with several people as to whether the "sugar theory" is valid. My view on it is this: It may have some validity....or it may not......but is it hurting me in any way to cut sugar out of my diet? Of course not! If there is a SHRED of evidence proving that cancer may somehow feed off of sugar, why would I NOT want to cut all refined sugar out of my diet?

I altered my diet the week I found out I was diagnosed. My first purchase was "What to Eat If You Have Cancer" and my second purchase was "Beating Cancer With Nutrition". I changed everything about the way I eat and haven't looked back since!!!

I agree that it can be very confusing, and I go with a "common thread theory" -- If I read the same thing in several places, it must have a strain of validity to it! I have several great cookbooks with all natural recipes and natural sweeteners (made w/ brown rice) that don't hit your system the way refined sugars do. (Christina Pirello is a great whole foods cook who follows a modified macrobiotic diet and recovered without medical treatment from leukemia--her cookbooks are great!) Send me a PM if you would like more info!

My radiation oncologist was not helpful in the nutrition arena AT ALL. I asked him what to eat during radiation to keep my strength up and he told me to eat cake if it would keep up my weight. That was when I realized I had to be my own health advocate!!!!!

Does your hospital have a nutritionist on staff? Mine did and she gave me some useful information in the beginning -- and she also told me that they don't know everything that nutrition can do regarding cancer, but the more studies that come out, the more they realized there is a connection.

Hope this was helpful,

Heather