Who lung cancer didn't claim.....

chloesmom

In the midst of all this sadness with the loss of Mo and all those who have left us recently, I'd like to share with you a couple of people who have waged a successful battle against lung cancer .......

A woman named Ronnie--she had a mass show up on a pre-surgery x-ray and refused to do anything about it for 5 years!!!!! A never-smoker...She had it removed--11 years ago--my husband just saw her at church yesterday......

A man named Len--he is retiring from my workplace after 51 years of service! He had a lobectomy at least 10 years ago, was a long time smoker, continued to work a full time, demanding job and is now retiring, not from health issues, just wants to relax!

These are just two people from my own very small world, but here are some more.....

Other people who didn't have lung cancer, but waged successful battles against cancer...

Ronald Reagan--colon cancer survivor. He said that his colon had cancer, he didn't...I know, it's not that simple, but he was the epitomy of optimism, and it served him well.

Nancy Reagan--long term breast cancer survivor.

Arnold Palmer--prostate cancer--I think he's at least 5 years out.

John Wayne--cured of lung cancer--I believe stomach cancer was his cause of death.

Olivia Newton John--breast cancer survivor--20+ years if I remember correctly.

It is in times of sadness such as these that I hold these people and their stories very close and look to them for hope......and optimism....

Bless you all.....

Katie,

Yes, indeed, that goes without saying for me, but I would never want anyone to doubt who my real heroes are--they are all of you who I see doing it all day every day!!!!!!!!

It is good to hear stories of people who beat the cancer. I know people

who won there battles. My grandmother had colon cancer in 1978 and

beat it and passed of natural causes at 84 years old in 1989. My girl

friends mother Patty was told she had 6 months to live and lived 7 years

and passed unrelated to her cancer. I have my aunt Bonnie right now

who has uterus and liver cancer and in Sept. will be 4 years. Cancer can

be beat. Haylee

This is great!

Gotta love Ronald Reagan's optimism - but when did he have colon cancer? I didn't know that. I also didn't realize Nancy had breast cancer.

With all the talk of his optimism last week during the funerals, I think that he died so we could all be reminded of that. He went a long way in life with the help of that optimism. Makes me very aware that I need to try harder for that!

This is great!

Gotta love Ronald Reagan's optimism - but when did he have colon cancer? I didn't know that. I also didn't realize Nancy had breast cancer.

With all the talk of his optimism last week during the funerals, I think that he died so we could all be reminded of that. He went a long way in life with the help of that optimism. Makes me very aware that I need to try harder for that!

Karen C

Karen:

I believe both Reagans had cancer while he was President. I know for sure that Nancy chose a masectomy rather than lumpectomy and radiation because she didn't want to deal with radiation and the time it takes while she had such a busy schedule in the White House.

I guess that's why I posted those people. Of course we here are all survivors and hear from each other daily, but I personally know two people who have survived lung cancer long term and are doing all kinds of things besides dwelling on lung cancer and statistics. I need to get myself past all that and start to live again.

I think the optimism theme last week surrounding the Presidential funeral did me some good--geez that guy didn't even become president till he was almost 70!

Guest HerSon

I heard a story that should inspire all! An elderly woman with inoperable Stage IV NSCLC went through the usual chemo and radiation treatments, but just continued to decline. The doctors gave her only weeks or days, and the family all prepared for the worst. She stopped eating and lost a lot of weight, and began sleeping a great deal. Hospice said that the end was very near. Then, one morning she just got up and complained that she was hungry! She went to the refrigerator and started eating things that she hadn't touched in months. It was a surprise to all. This kept up for about 2 weeks, and she began gaining weight and having more energy. The doctors were all mystified, so they decided to do some more testing. The tumors were all shrinking (including the mets), even though she had not been on chemo or radiation for over 2 months! Her condition continued to improve, and she reached the point where she was pretty much back to the way she was before the disease was DXed. The doctors finally concluded that she had what is technically known as a "spontaneous remission", where for some unexplained reason the bodys immune system kicks in and attacks and destroys the disease on its own. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen! Just more proof that no one should ever give up fighting this terrible disease..