More On Swelling & Redness Around The Eyes

Bill

The onset of this swelling & redness around my wife's eyes corresponds well with a switch from Kytril to Aloxi. But, beyond the timing of this switch, the fit isn't convincingly good. The onset of this condition was subtle with only slight but noticeable eyelid swelling over a couple of weeks until after her last chemo treatment ( 9/13 ). After this last chemo treatment the condition ' exploded ' with severe swelling and redness around both eyes. Her condition has improved since then but there is still some residual swelling today despite the fact that the Aloxi should be completely eliminated from her system by now. A cummulative or delayed reaction to Aloxi or one of the other chemo drugs ? Maybe so but I'm not familiar with such a phenomenon and neither is the oncologist. The oncologist agrees that it's very likely something related to the chemo treatment and Aloxi is the prime suspect. Now we are left with resuming chemo treatment and trying to positively identify the problem thru the process of elimination. The first step is to eliminate Aloxi and switch back to Kytril. The oncologist is certain that it's a side effect / adverse reaction of some sort and NOT tumor related. Anybody with experience or ideas about this condition please reply.

Thanks much for any input.

Bill,

When did your wife last have a CT of the abdomen, including the adrenals? And are you sure she's not dehydrated? I was checking into something today and saw that the eye swelling could be related to a secondary endocrine(sp) disorder. You might check the other symptoms to make sure she has none of those symptoms. I am not trying alarm you, because endrocine disorders can be caused by something other than mets. And I also read that both adrenal function would have to be pretty low to have symptoms--But I am not a DR. Maybe she has had her ACH levels checked recently, too. Don't know if it is standard with her bloodwork or not.

Wishing all the bad stuff would disappear!

elaine

Elaine

When did your wife last have a CT of the abdomen, including the adrenals? And are you sure she's not dehydrated? I was checking into something today and saw that the eye swelling could be related to a secondary endocrine(sp) disorder. You might check the other symptoms to make sure she has none of those symptoms. I am not trying alarm you, because endrocine disorders can be caused by something other than mets. And I also read that both adrenal function would have to be pretty low to have symptoms--But I am not a DR. Maybe she has had her ACH levels checked recently, too. Don't know if it is standard with her bloodwork or not.

///////////////////////

Elaine :

Thanks for the reply. Duly noted. Anybody else have any experience with this condition or suggestions ? My wife resumes chemo on Wed. ( 9/22 ). More waiting and worrying.