Iressa?

Tracy

Latest update on my dad.....

He has been undergoing chemo ( 3 to date) to fight against the new cancer on the rib which has resulted in a lot pain and temporary paralysis to his left arm. They have upped his morphine and introduced a new pill but nothing seems to eliviate the pain.

My mother just called me in tears from work. They went for dads regular appointment the monday before his chemo and were told that they were no longer going to give my dad chemo. It is not working. And apparently the chemo is causing the pain to his arm.

My mom and dad never really understand what else is said after they hear bad news ( I beg them to take me with them to these appointments ) so unfortunately we are not sure whats next. My mom said something about Iressa.

I have read bits of pieces of postings regarding Iressa but not really sure what it is, how it works, what the side effects are etc

We want to make a list of questions to ask the doctor so I was hoping that maybe some of you might be able to tell me more about Iressa either from personal experience or articles etc

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Tracy

Tracy,

Just because one chemo doesn't work it doesn't mean there isn't another that will. Basically Iressa will keep the cancer from growing if it works. It has held my husband stable for a long time now. I wish your dad well. You might want to consider a second opinion.

Rochelle

Tracy,

Iressa is a pill that you take once a day. Soooo much better than chemo. People have different reactions to it as far as side effects. The most common are diahrea (sp?), and an acne like rash. For me the rash hasn't been too bad and the diahrea comes and goes but nothing intolerable. Others have had severe reactions and have had to be taken off the drug.

However, when it works, it really works. Like Ry said, her husband has been stable for close to 2 years, (or is it more now?) I've been on it since May and still holding stable. It is definately worth a try.

The best part, NO iv's, NO nausea, NO low blood counts etc...... :lol:

TAnn

Tracy,

My husband has been on Iressa since June. He had stable scans in July and September. His side effects are ditto TAnn's. A little rash and occasional diarrhea, but it's all tolerable. He just takes the Iressa pill once a day and it's easy as eating pie! He also feels great and is working full time.

I will pray that the Iressa works well for your dad, too!

Love,

Peggy

Tracy,

Steve has been on Iressa since July and the only side effect has been the rash. We will know more after getting MRI and CT results this week, but I can tell you he is sooo much better. He was able to stop morphine and seems to not have all the pain he stuggled with before. We met a woman who has been on Iressa for 2 1/2 years (got it during trials under compassionate use after chemo failure), a 3 year survivor on Iressa (not sure how long on the med). Also met an 8 year survivor who is on Iressa (again not sure how long - met on the rush at our rally). She also had Gamma Knife brain surgery and WBR and is doing well! Hope Iressa is the answer for your dad too.

Hello all -

I am reading a lot of you write "stable" and I wonder what the implications of a "stable" status are? Does this mean that you 'live' with the disease? Does it mean the tumors will be operated on?

Not sure what this term implies.

Thank you!

Novice

Thank you all for your replies....they are really appreciated.

Today the oncologist called and spoke more about this with my mother. He advised that my dad first has to qualify based on an application that the Dr will complete. We should find out more in a couple of days.

He advised that the cost is approximately $2400/month! Ouch! Thankfully we live in one of the few provinces that covers it under the provincial medical plan we wont have to pay for it.

He also mentioned that there is a slight chance (approx 1%) that Iressa can be fatal. I have yet to hear anybody say anything about this and couldnt find anything on the web....has anyone heard of such risk? I realize that any and all drugs have risk involved but I am curious none the less.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention..he now believes that the cancer of the rib is actually the original tumor that may be squeezed up under a rib due to its location on dads lung...so that is kind of good news that it is not spreading although he cant say at this time whether the original has grown or just managed to move...and not sure about this myself because I was unaware that the tumors moved at all! Will know more hopefully after the next scan in december.

Thanks again for you help and support.