Vent/Rant

Linus

My mother has stage 4 lung cancer with mets to the brain.

We went to see her oncologist last week and when she was weighed, she had gained 10 pounds. I was thinking, "great, wonderful" but not her. The Dr. told her that it may be the steroids that are making her gain weight. I figured out today that instead of taking decadron 3 times a day, she has reduced the dose to once a day so she can lose weight!!!!

ARGGGG! Isn't it pretty unsafe to play around with steroids?

What can I say or do to make her realize that it is not safe to reduce these medications?

Thanks,

Linus

My mother has stage 4 lung cancer with mets to the brain.

We went to see her oncologist last week and when she was weighed, she had gained 10 pounds. I was thinking, "great, wonderful" but not her. The Dr. told her that it may be the steroids that are making her gain weight. I figured out today that instead of taking decadron 3 times a day, she has reduced the dose to once a day so she can lose weight!!!!

ARGGGG! Isn't it pretty unsafe to play around with steroids?

What can I say or do to make her realize that it is not safe to reduce these medications?

Thanks,

Linus

///////////////

I can address the dosage reduction issue. A sudden dosage reduction from 3 times daily to once daily may or may not be too much for your mother to handle. Just watch her over the next day or so. If she suddenly feels ill contact the doctor and I'm sure she will bump the dosage back up and try weening her down again at a slower pace.

Are you saying that your mother on her own decided to reduce the dosage? I don't think that is wise especially if she still has brain mets. The steroids are used to decrease swelling in the brain, which could be fatal.

Pls contact your Dr. in the morning. I don't mean to scare you but it isn't clear to me who decreased the dose, your mother or her Dr.

elaine

Elaine,

It was my mother who decreased the dosage of the steroid. She does not like the fact that she has gained weight. Trust me, she is hardly "fat" in fact, she is slim.

Yes, she does have brain mets and that is why I am so concerned. About 2 weeks ago, she informed me that she thinks the cancer is back in her brain. (crainiotomy in Aug.) and she was complaining of headaches. The Dr. then increased the steroid to 3 times a day. Her headaches went away. Now with the weight gain, mom reduces the dosage herself to lose weight. I told her that she should be very thankful that she is not losing weight!

I just get so frustrated with her because she complains so much about symptoms and then does something like this. I wonder why I bother with calling the Dr.s and researching her DX and doing just about everything else.

I am very frustrated right now with this whole situation! Need a vacation!

Thanks for listening,

Linus

I understand your frustation with this but she's still human... I went through the same struggle with those darn steriods. I would watch that scale inch up and it was sooooo painful. I know that's dumb and it's not rationale but nevertheless it happened.

I received steriods prior to the chemo and I cut back just a bit a time or two. I don't know if it was all vanity or just the desire to control something that was happening to my body. I would definately tell her doctor... but it hurts watching your body change so much. My hair, my weight, ..........

For better or for worse she's a "woman" first (who still cares about how she looks) and a cancer patient second. Go easy on her :wink:

When I was taking Prednisone, the DOCTOR was slowly reducing my dose to wean me off, and the biggest reduction he did actually caused me to have "withdrawl" symptoms! I was shaky, I broke out in a cold sweat and I spent the afternoon in bed!!! And that was doctor prescribed!!

I concur with the others that messing around w/ steroid dosage can be dangerous! I would contact your mom's doc and just make sure he is aware!

Hi Linus,

I am currenjtly on steroids also, 4 times a day 2mg. I to have brain mets, I had a craniotomy a couple of weeks ago to remove a couple of brain tumors and am now having WBR so I must continue the steroids for quite awhile. I will tell you the side effects are herendous - much worse than the cancer. The weight gain, the discomfort from the stomach distention, the joint pain at night, the emotional changes that it causes - EVERYTHING!

But please tell you mom to do exactly what the doctors tell her regarding the steroids, it is very important and should not be messed with because it is to control the swelling in the brain and that is nothing to mess with - I have lost some of my sight because of those pesky tumors and it is no fun. While I do struggle with the side effects I offset this by reminding myself SEVERAL TIMES daily that the steroids are temporary therefore so are the side effects. If weight gain is the only thing your mom is experiencing tell her she should feel so lucky. When I was on steroids for chemo when I finished my weight leveled off I do not belive it is like normal weight gain that stays with you. I hope your mom will do the right thing for herself most importanly but also for her family.

Good Luck.

Carrie