Making a difference...one letter at a time!

Hebbie

I am very proud of myself today! I subscribe to Dr. Weil's e-newsletter and I have been dissapointed that they haven't had much focus on Lung Cancer this month (I don't know why I was surprised... :roll: )

Anyway -- I got the e-mail yesterday and saw that it said "This month's focus is DIABETES". Not that Diabetes is not an important issue, but I was like what the #*&%)@ -- this is OUR month!!! So I wrote a very nice e-mail to them, stating that November is LC Awareness Month, explained about our clear ribbon, due to our "invisible" status, and that we are so invisible, no one even knows this is LC Awareness Month!! I also asked that they do not simply focus on smoking, because I was a lifelong non-smoker who was diagnosed. I didn't hear anything back, but look what TODAY'S topic is:

Simple Steps for Healthier Lungs

Most people breathe about 20,000 times per day - more if they are exercising strenuously. November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month, a good time to stop taking your lungs for granted. Try the following:

Avoid irritants. Pollution, bacteria, viruses, molds, chemical and gas fumes...all can aggravate your lungs. Use a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter at home to filter out irritants, especially if you have pets.

Eat antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. Apples, oranges and tomatoes can nourish the lungs, and the natural mix of carotenes in carrots, yellow squash and dark leafy greens may help protect against lung cancer.

Exercise. Regular fitness strengthens breathing muscles and improves the respiratory system. If you have lung problems, talk with your physician about a fitness program.

Do breathing exercises. Try taking slow, deep, regular breaths, and extend each exhalation to squeeze out more air.

Stop smoking. Avoid second-hand smoke, too. Both can lead to lung problems and cancer.

Clean out your lungs. Drinking pure water can help to rid your lungs of germs, irritants and toxins.

Heather,

I have written to our local newspaper, TV station and even the Today Show about this month being LC Awareness Month. I can't seem to get any response, attention or anything else. I thought Letters to the Editor were suppose to be published, aren't they? I am very disappointed. Glad you were able to get a response. Any advice on how to get a response would be greatly appreciated. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!

I know so many people that have written to The Today Show, Oprah, Good Morning America......no response. It's very disheartening.

I think our best bet is to go with the local media and make it more of a "personal" story. I had success with the local newspapers (a South Jersey paper and a very local, 3 town paper) when promoting our walk. When we approached them, we sent a "story" in about my background, and I "used" the fact that I was a single mom at the time of diagnoses, that my boyfriend proposed the weekend before I started chemo.....that we celebrated the one-year anniversary of diagnoses by getting married.

I figured, instead of just spouting off facts at them, I would "humanize" the story and grab them in with the personal "hook". It worked, because two papers called and then I had my chance to get the stats out there, during the interview.

Unfortunately, I was so busy with the walk details, that I didn't have a lot of time to work on the television arena. I did send some e-mails but never really followed up or pressed the issue, which is breaking my heart now, because at least once a week, one of the tv news stations STILL does a breast cancer story........no mention of LC Awareness Month at all...