LUNG CANCER

margret

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER I HAD A N UPPER RIGHT LOBECTOMY THEN ABOUT 6 WEEKS LATER I HAD AN LOWER LEFT LOBECTOMY,NOW IM RECEVING CHEMOTHERAPY PACLITAXEL AND CAROPLATIN I GET THE TREAMENT EVERY THREE WEEKS,I HAVE GONE COMPLETTLY BALD FROM THE TREAMENTS I GET PINS AND NEEDLES ALL UYP MY LEGS N FEET I HAVE NO TASTE IN MY MOUTH

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Margret,

Yep, that sounds like cisplatin. There's something you can ask he doctor for to make your mouth feel better, it has an antibiotic in it, lidocaine viscous solution, maalox, benadryl, and something else, that really helped me eat. Also, the mouth sores, make sure they look and you don't have candidiasis, a frequent companion to chemo. Remember to drink lots of water. Your hair will grow back, meanwhile there are cute wigs or hair coverings a little longer than the ones normally sold, that can be purchased through the ACS catalog (American Cancer Society). I liked the terry cloth turban especially in the winter.

There are other pre-chemo treatments for cisplatin, for example, ethyol to protect hearing and kidneys, zofran and lorazepam for nausea, lots of fluid... Take advantage of these things the doctor has. Ask for them if you need to. And yes, your hair will grow back, and them fall out starting about day 1 8 post chemo.

Hang in there, you're doing wonderfully... and welcome to the family!

XOXXOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn