Aspergillus Fumigatus & Lung Cancer

deidrelh

I have aspergillus fumigatus fungus in my lungs along with inoperable, adenocarcinoma. Due to a low FEV1 (17%) I'm not candidate for surgery or radiation. Recently my oncologist said I could start Iressa. Problem is that I'm taking Voriconazole for a fungal infection (aspergillus fumigatus) in my lungs, and I am concerned about taking these two medications together. Secondly, I don't know which condition needs treatment the mosrt? Which is worse to have, slow growing adenocarcinoma or invasive aspergillus fumigatus? Thank you for your help in answering any part or all of this complicated question.

Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis is a very serious lung infection and must be treated. You could get in trouble with that faster than with cancer. Voriconazole does increase the levels of Iressa so side effects/risks would probably be a little higher. I don't see that there are any other known major interactions between the two so if your oncologist feels comfortable using both together it is reasonable to do. If you had to pick just one, I would definitely take the voriconazole.