Coping...

Laurie

Hey Everyone,

Well my Mom although she is still feeling good is not getting scanned as of yet which with SCLC terrifies me .. to go through so much to just let it all go and not get scanned is absurd. I feel powerless...

Unfortunately my Father has had an emotional down period.. its like hes fizzled out... He has taken leave from work and is depressed. He is going to see someone and is on medicine. I feel so bad for him cause he adores my Mom and loves her so much. I will never forget when he threw her pills against the wall in frustration when we couldn't get her to stop throwing up and he was crying. He has gotten up everyday for 40 years and gone to work at 6 am... I feel so bad for him and my Mom.

We have reached remission and that is such a blessing.. I wish they could just relax, retire and enjoy life!!!!!!!!

Bless you all,

Laurie

LAURIE,

WHY DON'T YOU TRY AND GET YOUR FATHER TO READ SOME OF THESE POSTS. MAYBE IT WILL HELP HIM TO TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND GO ON WITH HIS AND HIS WIFE'S LIFE. NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME FOR ANY OF US BUT LIFE DOES GO ON AND WE MUST GO ON WITH IT. WHATEVER WILL BE WE HAVE NO CONTROL OF SO DON'T DWELL ON THE BAD SIDE BUT LOOK TO THE GOOD. YOUR MOM IS DOING SO MUCH BETTER FOR NOW AND MAYBE FOR THE FUTURE BUT JUST BE HAPPY FOR NOW......

Laurie-

I am in the same boat, my dad is just beside himself with greif. I don't know what to do for him. I feel hes not letting his emotion out, afraid to let my mom see. He is doing SO MUCH, still working, and taking care of mom. Hes also on 4 12 hour days, which keeps him away for so long, but he has to work in order to maintain the insurance. They are soul mates, you hang tough and give your dad lots of hugs, and tell him God is in control. Okay sweetie. Hang in there my friend.

Rana :wink:

Laurie,

If you can get him to talk with you about how he is doing. Although we are not the ones in charge of this disease it helps to know that we are not alone. Whem mom got sick most of dads friends had gone to Mexico in their motorhomes so it was just dad and I. I got him talking some by first talking about how I felt about this or that. I purposely left a few moments of silence inbetween my talking in case he wanted to share something. He did open up to me on somethings and we were able to make decissions together. We developed a closeness I treasure now and forever.

If possiable, take one day at a time and seek out it's fullest potential.

HUGS, Shelly

Laurie, take it from me -- your dad, as the prime caregiver, is worn out. he really does need to talk with someone who can help him through all this. I am very fortunate to have a friend who meets with me once a week, and lets me unload. I agree with you -- they should be able to enjoy the remission phase -- but there seems to be some residual emotion from all the struggle. It may just have to run its course. Blessings. Don