The Cancer has Reared Its Ugly Face Again!!!!!!!

Well guess my worries weren't for nothing. Maybe now they will listen when we say he has a fever again and needs checked!!! The oncologists nurse had blowed us off saying a little bitty fever doesn't come from cancer. Well with Darrell my s/o it does mean cancer!!! Thank God for Darrells family doctor. He did listen and ordered a pet scan. It showed he has cancer in his lymph nodes in the middle of his chest. (The hilum lymph nodes.) This is what his doctor said but now I'm looking at the report and it says (focus of abnormal uptake in the right side of the mediastinum consistent with malignant adenopathy. says computer analysis yields an SVU max of 10.4 g/ml for this abnormaility indicating that ir represents malignant adenopathy)( there is a well defined nodular focus of abnormal activity noted in the right side of the mediastinum at the level of the aortic arch) Can anyone explain all of this to me better??? Everything else in his body showed nothing. I'm thankful for that!!!!!!!!!! I'm scared to death, but we are gonna face this demon head on and it isn't gonna win!!!!!!!!! His family doctor had already talked with the oncologist and we have a appointment with him wednesday!! I guess I'll know more then!! I'm gonna make this short because I want to do some research on the web... Thanks for everyone support and me being nuts last night!!! Does anyone know what stage this makes him in now?

I am no doctor and even hesitated answering your post because I wouldnt want to mislead you. My father was only dx in May so Im relatively new and still learning. My father has a tumor (2cm) on his upper right lobe with one node swollen in the mediastinum. He was to get 8 chemo treatments and then surgery. He was delayed a few weeks of treatment due to low platelets (his bone marrow has taken a beating the last few years due to a separate cancer - non hodgkins lymphoma). Anyway, they are changing his treatment to Navelbine and then with PRAYER he will have the surgery after 6 more weeks. He is IIIa.

I was wondering in your signature why the doctors are saying no further treatment at this time. Will they do chemo to shrink the nodes? Can they go back in and remove those nodes maybe after some treatment? These are all questions to ask the oncologist.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

I'm sorry I guess I need to change that now. Darrells was also dx in May, had surgery may 20 removed upper rt. lobe. Because the no treatment was before the cancer returned in his nodes...Makes me wonder if it was there all along, had to be didn't it??? Anyway we go back to the oncologist this wednesday to find out what the treatment will be now. Because now there will be treatment of some kind, we just don't know what.... Why has this spread so fast to the nodes?? I just don't get it, and I don't see how they can say they got it all and suggest no chemo or treatment, and then less then 4 weeks later his fevers back, and the oncologist's nurse blew us off, saying fever isn't a sign of cancer, but his family doctor order the pet scan and it found the cancer back in his nodes in the mediastinum area....Darrells family doctor is the one that called the oncologist and told him of what was going on since we never got past the nurse... And hes the one that set up the appointment for us to see the oncologist next Wednesday... You can bet that nurse is gonna hear a few things!!! I will keep your questions in mind linda thanks so much for sharing with me.

So tell me how bad is this??? Being in the nodes in the mediastinum area??? I want someone to tell me please??? I'm the type I need to know what we are dealing with?? Thats the only way I can deal withit. I want the truth straight up from people.. I might go nuts at first, but then I gain strengthen and I'm ok. Anyone that has had this happen, please respond and share some information with me.

Linda, I will also pray for your father that things go well and that they are able to do the surgery...

It is hard not to get caught up in everything, but I am spending as much time with him as possilbe. I'm scared that right now might be the best he ever feels...and he doesn't feel good now, but I know it can and probably will get worse before it gets better!!! I hope I'm not fooling myself into thinking he can be this dammm cancer, he can can't he???????????? I don't want to lose him!!! I can't imagine my life without him in it!! I'm a school bus driver and so I'm home for the summer, so with him being off work too, we've become so much closer with all of this going on, and we are able to spend alot of time together!! I'm thankful that I'm able to be here for him...You know I can't concentrate on anything but this damn cancer though, I can't read or even think about anything else. People try to carry on conversations with me and half the time I don't even here what people are saying. Most of them making small talk, but let them talk about Darrell or the cancer and I'm all ears... Its like its consumed my life!!!! I guess it has, both of our lives. Getting him well is the only thing on my mind right now... Thanks for your advice and I will take it!! Hugs and prayers to all of you!!!!