Update On Dad

KHK2971

Hi All -

Just wanted to give you an update on my Dad. I've been away from the boards lately, as things have really been hectic for us. But I've been catching up and it's good to hear some of the positive news and it has been tough to read some of the sad news as well. Lung cancer is a horrible disease and I wish there was a cure.

Dad finished radiation about two weeks ago and it has eliminated about 30% of his pain. We are disappointed that it didn't help more of the pain - he is still on 160mg of oxycontin each day along with oxycodone when he needs additional pain control.

He started chemo on Friday...Taxol and carboplatin weekly and he also started taking thalidomide. He will take thalidomide every night before bed. It is an angiogenesis inhibitor and I hope it will be his miracle drug. He handled the chemo well until today. This morning he felt terrible...pain all over his body, a nagging cough, and his fever rose to 101.9. We called the dr. and they wanted us to bring him to check his blood counts, but he is too sick to leave the house. We got his fever down to 98.9 with tylenol and now he is resting thank God. It's been a really tough day for us and I just pray that he is going through all of this pain and suffering for a purpose. I really pray that this chemo is working.

We are looking into rfa - tumor ablation - in an effort to get his pain under control. I think 160mg of oxycontin per day is too much and if we can do anything to get him off some of that, it'd be worth it. The Dr. who will do the RFA keeps telling me that the procedure will not be a cure, but something to control pain. I say fine, go ahead with it. Anything positive would be a step in the right direction. And at least that tumor would be dead.

Those of you who have been on carbo/taxol - how did you handle your treatments? Dad is taking the drugs weekly.

Have any of you looked into RFA and if so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance and best wishes to you all,

Kelly

Kelly, my wife's chemo was every three weeks for 5-6 rounds. We chose that over every week, hoping to have one week each round where she felt okay. That worked except for the last two times which didn't give her any okay time. Be very careful of fever because it could be an infection, and his resistance is low due to the chemo. My wife still is on morphine, 45mg twice a day, and I would like to lower it, but so far, I have not been able to without her being in too much pain. I'm hoping with time that we can lower it. Best to you. Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for writing back. I had originally wanted Daddy to get his treatments every three weeks, but his oncologist said that weekly treatments would be better since he is taking thalidomide. He said that weekly treatments would be better tolerated than getting such a large dose every three weeks. I guess that makes sense, but then again it doesn't. I get so confused and I thought rather than question the dr. too much, we should just go with what he says. I guess they can always alter it.

His fever worried me because it was so high - 101.9 - but it is completely gone. We didn't take him in to the Dr. He wanted to rest and he was sleeping so good and his fever is gone. I hope we did the right thing....the worst part is questioning myself...I want the best for him and I feel like no one else feels as strongly about that as I do. But it's hard, because I know the Drs certainly know more about this dreadful disease than I do.

I'm sorry Lucie is still on morphine. I read in one of your posts today that she was out having lunch with a friend. I think that is great - and I'm also glad you two missed the big storm!

I hope you're doing well, too.

Kelly

well the fever is normal (well NOT) but does happen. my dad's first chemo treatment he was right back in there cause he had a fever. YOU NEED to take him in when a fever is there cause he shoudl get an IV and he may have an infection like pnemonia or something and they can get him some antibiotics. so for his own good even if he doesnlt want to you need to.

My dad was also on a VERY HIGH dose of OC's and i hated it. he was on 100's and took them 2x a day. so i hear ya. i have a funny story about his first time when the oc's hit the pain on the head.....he was so HIGH. haha i had to laugh cause he called EVERYONE to tell them he felt no more pain, he laughed he cried....i didnlt even knwo it was him casue iswear his voice was an octive higher! my mom was like i have no idea WHAT to do casue he will not stop calling people. i said unplug the phone!!! hahaha

KELLY,

SO SORRY YOUR DAD IS HAVING A ROUGH TIME WITH THIS HORRIBLE CANCER.

I TO AM LOOKING INTO RFA FOR MY HUSBAND WHO'S CANCER WAS FOUND TO HAVE SPREAD TO THE LIVER ON THE SCAN HE HAD YESTERDAY.

PEG WHO IS ON THIS BOARD GAVE ME THE LOCATION ON THE COMPUTER CALL AMERICAN INSTITUTE FOR CANCER ABLATION WHO'S E-MAIL IS

WWW.CANCERABLATION.COM.
I E-MAILED MY HUSBAND'S VARIOUS BOUTS WITH CANCER TO THEM TODAY AND AM WAITING TO HEAR FROM THEM. WHERE DID YOU CHECK INTO THIS AT. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY DO IT LOCALLY OR NOT. IS YOUR FATHER'S TO BE DONE WHERE HE LIVES OR ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE HIM SOMEWHERE?

WILL WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU. GOD BLESS