U.S. Rep. Shaw to undergo surgery for lung tumor again

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... -headlines

U.S. Rep. Shaw to undergo surgery for lung tumor again

Associated Press

Posted May 26 2005, 11:50 AM EDT

WEST PALM BEACH -- U.S. Rep. Clay Shaw will undergo surgery next week to remove a small cancerous tumor on his lung. Shaw, 66, underwent a similar surgery in January 2003.

Doctors noticed the new spot, confined to the lower left lung, on a routine follow-up CAT scan.

For the 2003 surgery, Shaw was hospitalized two days and back to work in two weeks. He expects the same recovery time following the surgery Tuesday at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. Because the tumor was caught in its earliest stages, Shaw said he will not have to undergo chemotherapy or radiation treatment.

Shaw, a Republican, said he plans to continue his re-election campaign for a 14th term and hopes to succeed the chairman of the Ways and Means Committee in two years.

``This latest diagnosis does not change my goals for the future. I am in good health and I will absolutely beat this once again,'' Shaw said in a statement released Thursday. Shaw says he last smoked in the mid-1960s.

Since his diagnosis, Shaw became an advocate for lung cancer survivors. In 2004, he obtained $500,000 in federal money so a hospital in his district could obtain a cancer radiation therapy device.

He also co-founded the 2015 Caucus with U.S. Rep. Collin Peterson, D-Minn., which is made up of members affected by cancer and urges the development of a cure.

On Thursday, Shaw called for an increase in federal funding and called on President Bush to establish a goal of finding a cure for cancer by the year 2015.

Wow! I sure didn't know we had an advocate representative! I pray that they get it ALL with this surgery. Perhaps he should have chemo. Whatever! I sure hope he does well. Donna G