In Home Hospice

Guest naomicolwell

Guest naomicolwell

Hi all,

Mom going home from hospital today. After 8 days and 5 chest tubes her plerucy has stopped, she had four treaments of the talc and it has helped a lot. Doctor says that it takes about five weeks for Tarceva to kick in, so we should see results in one more week... I hope. I did see a few of you talk about your tarceva rash... thank you for mentioning it, as I was not sure what was going on.

However, although she is going home, pulmonary doctors say a in home hospice or hospice is our next step. So although going home does not sound too good, anyone work with in home hospice? What do they do? How serious is it?

Well, our family has learned that not all hospice organizations are the same. Depending on where you are, there may be more than one organization in your area. The hospice organization we are working with has a program for people who are seriously ill, but have not been given any kind of "time frame" for life expectancy. They can still receive agressive treatment! My mother can get a home health aid to help her bathe and dress, manage her pain medications, and the hospice organization coordinates her durable medical goods, like a walker and oxygen. When she was too weak, they arranged for an ambulance to bring her in for testing.

Depending on what the policies of your local hospice are, there may indeed be a great deal of help available. If the dr. is suggesting "home hospice", ask if s/he has a specific organization in mind. There are some hospices which offer help to patients who are still undergoing treatment.

In home hospice is excellent. My husband just had them before he died recently. They come to your home daily if needed. They had him on a morphine pump and oxygen. They give excellent care. God bless them and your family. I am praying for you. Nancy C

Like others, I had a really good experience with Hospice. Dennis was well cared for physically and the other members of our family recieved much care and concern in other areas. It's really great to have their assistance.