PET scan vs. CT scan??

Donna

My brother had his PET scan and the Doc is concerned about his spinal column. He recently threw his back out, which has been a problem all his adult life.He also has broken ribs which lit up on the PET scan..The Nurse practitioner thinks it's bone mets according to the report of the PET scan..

The Radiologist that read the scan does not know he has been treated the last 2 weeks for a back problem.. Would the injury to his back light up as an abnormal PET scan? The CT scan just a few days ago showed no abnormality to the bones in his back, or any place else for that matter..I also understand the PET scan lights up all the places that had radiation. How can this test be conclusive if he just had radiation and all the places are lighting up? I am not understaning this whole scenario..His Oncologist said he does not like PET scans for that reason, that they scare a person half to death after radiation because everything lights up..

Needless to say, I am scared half to death waiting for the Oncologist to review the PET scan himself tomorrow morning..

If it is bone mets, can it be treated with with Zometa? I think that is the name of the drug? I am so confused at this ppoint..His bone scan was clear, how can this show up now? Why wouldn't the CT scan pick it up a few days ago?

Well, Donna, I can tell you just a little of my experience today. My PET lit up too. It lit up where I had a severe herniated disc!!!! My surgeon, who is so experienced at reading these said that all it was ... inflamation! And I trust him. Last PET lit up my esophagus... suffered esophagitis and he said not to worry. This time ...no esophagus light up!!!! So PET scans do light up what is not cancer. If you have a doc you trust - great! If not, well, time to get one you have confidence in.

Hope you get the answers you are seeking.

Kasey

God Bless you one and all..You put my mind at ease till tomorrow..If the Doc thinks the cancer returned, I am telling my brother to request an MRI so they compare the PET hot spots with the inflamed muscles and tissues..Keeping all of you in my prayers.. :?

PET does light up in areas where there has been trauma. An MRI is usually done to help discern tumor from other things. Also, new bone growth (repair from tumor, for instance) will light up a PET.

As for Zometa, my wife takes it once a month and I believe it helps prevent tumors from residing in bones. I don't think it would decrease a tumor that is already there. My wife tends to get bone mets, so the Zometa helps in a preventive way. Don

I am so confused..The CT scan showed nothing on the spine and the PET scan showed a few places lighting up on the spine..Shouldn't these two scans match? Especially since they were taken so close together..I could understand if there was a year between scans, but there was only about 2 weeks between scans..The CT showed something altogether different..I guess my brother will find out the news tomorrow..