Im worried about mom (when is this not the case?)

Mskim

My mom went camping this weekend and I was with her before she left and she was barely able to walk. SHe threw herself from one place to another.

It is making me crazy that she goes away when she feels so awful but how can we deny her what makes her happy.

SHe has started Neulasta (SP?) but it takes 6 weeks to work. DOes anyone know what kind of improvement we can expect?

SHe is so different than the woman I knew. The rads to her head really took a toll and it is so sad somedays, she is so child like.

She jerks and shakes on both sides now and it gets way worse when she is tired (when is she not tired?) I wish I know if there was some hope of her personality returning. I just wait and pray.

Kim

Kim,

I'm really sorry that your Mom isn't doing to well. My Mom was still played golf up to a month before she passed away. She didn't have any mets to her brain which I am thankful for but I know how hard it is to sit by and watch all of the changes that take place.

I will keep your family in my prayers.

Patty

So sorry things aren't going well for your mom right now. As for the personality changes, you just have to remember she is still the same mom you have always loved and try to accept that things are different now. If she feels up to being out and about without injuring herself, then I would not try to stop her. If you are worried about injuries, perhaps you could take her out in a wheelchair when she wants to go somewhere. Maybe you could ask her doctor for some suggestions. I'm sending lots positive thoughts your way!

Kim,

I totally understand what you are talking about! My Mom finished 26 WBR for her brain mets a couple weeks ago. She is very tired but still wants to keep up the pace she used to. I want her to not wear herself out and get sick trying to "keep up."

It's tough to have your Mom sick and sometimes I just wish everything could be normal again.

Hope things improve for you & your Mom.

Trish

You mention that the medication caused her personality to change. Medications can cause many different side effects. One is Myoclonus. Myoclonus is when there is something like a short circut and it causes the limbs to jerk, sometimes violently. You might want to check with her doctor about that. Just a thought but I do know how frightening that can be. In itself it could cause some personality changes.

the title of your post made me smile because it's so "me too". someone told me once that "worrying is what we do to feel like we're doing something when there's nothing we can do."

for me, that's it in a nutshell - I worry, because it's easier to take than that awful, powerless feeling I get when I watch LC take its toll on my mother. slowly, I am learning to be in the moment, not look back or ahead and just be here.

hang in there, we do understand.

xoxo

amie