Ascites??

Donna

What can be done for ascites? If the stomach is tapped, will the fluid come back? When do they tap the fluid? My brother has severe bloating and they haven't done anything to tap the stomach. Does this mean the cancer is getting worse if there is fluid?

I am very concerned about this..

Donna :?

Donna,

Sweetie, listen to me, most of your questions are things you NEED TO ASK HIS DOCTOR? You just had a meeting with Mark's doctor, and why didn't you ask him these questions? You said Mark was fine and that his stomach problems were caused from his liver.

Suggestion for you. Write down your questions and then take your list to his doctor. HE IS THE ONLY ONE that has these answers, being we don't have a medical degree nor do we really have the entire picture of what poor Mark is going through. OR, post this to Ask the Experts. Make sure you have Mark's ENTIRE PROFILE posted so you can get the best answer for your questions. Wasn't Mark just in the hospital?

Good luck and God Bless.

Hi Donna,

Connie is absolutely right. You can only get these answers from his Doctor. It is a shame that we think of all this after we leave the office but if nothing else ask the office people to ask him to call you or maybe see if he will accept email questions. One thing for sure if you cant talk with them after the appointment then change doctors. Right it all down first, make it short and to the point and then right their answers down or tape record them so you can look it up on the internet or relisten to it. Dont give up.

Don :wink:

Hi Connie,

Yes, he was in the hospital last week.I was asking this question hoping one of you had this probelm and could tell me what they did for you..I ask the Doc questions, and he is great but after i leave I think of 10 more questions..I hate to be a bother to you guys, but you have all been my salvation through this..I just post questions as I think of them, knowing there is always someone to answer me and make my mind rest a bit. I hope my logic makes sense to you.. :?

Donna-Connie is right. This is one esp. for the Dr. there are several reasons for ascites. Only the Dr. would be able to tell you which one is the cause. Yes sometimes they drain it, sometimes it comes right back sometimes it does not. There are some meds to help with it. Have your bro. call the Dr with questions. Hopefully this will help calm your fears.

Love Cindy

Donna, it's difficult, to say the least, to keep up with it all, and the dozens upon dozens of questions we have, each one leading to more questions. The others are right, IMO -- these are things his doctor will have to address. Even if someone else has had the same thing, we're all so different and having different treatments, that it just won't work using any of that as a basis for what's going on with him.

I do understand though -- I like hearing about what others experience when it's similar to something I'm going through, but just have to remember that can be risky business.

The Oncologist I go to tells me to write down questions, and either bring them when I come in or fax them to the office before an appointment. Sometimes a nurse will call me back, sometimes I just wait until I see her again. If it's urgent, I say so and they take care of me right away.

I bet you could call their office any time and ask about this. It make take some time to get back to you, but maybe not. It's worth a try, no?

My best wishes to you both.

Di

Hello Di,

So glad you are feeling good..God Bless!!Thanks so much for the advice, this is all new to me and my nerves get the best of me from worring all the time..I will call his Onc and ask all my questions and concerns..Thanks again and prayers are being sent your way.. :wink:

Donna

Donna, I threatened to get a big stick to beat my sister with if she didn't stop worrying so much! I practically banned her from going with me to the doctor, because she tends to talk and talk, and I forget what I wanted to talk about! So, I just told her to trust me and I'd tell her if there was anything to tell!

Much as I'd like to whack her now and then, I'm grateful to have a sister here, because the rest of my family is in another state. I bet your brother is grateful to have you around too. I signed papers so that my sister can call the doctor any time she wants and they will discuss my case with her, so that might be another option for you. Just a thought.

Take care, and God bless you too!

Di