Taxotere?

Henry1929

My wife is consdering a trial combining an experimental with Taxotere (docataxel) given every 21 days. I am interested in finding out what has been people's experience with Taxotere, side effects,fatigue, how long was the treatment, success? She just came off Gemzar which worked for about 7 months. She tolerated it pretty well, biggest problem was fatigue and some hair thinning. She did pretty well when she was on the original Taxol/carbo. chemo.although she of course lost all her hair and eyebrows and the nausea had to be managed. After that treatment her hair did come back, although spotty because of the whole brain radiation. She very much doesn't want to lose her hair again but hair loss seems to be assured with taxotere. Anyone have experience? Other side effects?

Hi,

What I've learned so far on this LC journey is that everyone's experiences with chemo is different. My dad was on an experimental trial of taxotere three weeks on one week off for awhile. He did experience hair loss from it. He never completed his treatment because they found another nodule. He was very tired and took quite a bit of anti-nausea meds. He also had to take Benadryl since he had an allergic reaction the first time it was administered. He was given the carbo-taxol regimen after the taxotere/cisplatin one and said that he tolerated the carbo/taxol better. I'm not sure if it was the taxotere or the cisplatin or the combo of both that gave him the side effects. I know its not much help.......

Hello, and welcome! My wife's first chemo protocol was taxotere and carboplatin. She had multiple side effects: fatigue, nausea, loss of hair, mouth sores, blackness and loss of fingernails and toenails, diarrhea. BUT, it worked! She had multiple bone mets and the chemo worked for her. Don

For my husband the taxotere had worse body aches. He was so sore when taking it. He found that drinking lots of water helped--before, during, and after treatment. He did not lose his hair on it. Good luck to your wife on the trial.

Rochelle

Hi Henry,

Thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding Taxotere.

My Mom just started taking it last week. (She is on the taxotere/avastin combination.) She had her first treatment on Monday morning and she is feeling terrible. I hope this doesn't last long. She told me that it is rough even getting enough energy to get to bed. Yesterday, she told me that she has laringytis. I hope it isn't because of a low blood count. Anyway, this is a new regimen for her and she is only at the beginning, so hopefully the side effects won't last much longer.

If your wife decides to try this treatment, I hope it works for her!!

Good luck!

Melinda

My last chemo treatment was Taxotere a 21 day cycle. The very last treatment my counts dropped tremendously and I got pneumonia. Please keep a close eye on any change in body temperature. At the slightest sign of fever, I would call the doctor. Dehydration was a major problem for me as well. I would have to go to the clinic to get fluids. Taxotere kept me stable and I am still stable. This is 5 months later. Hope this helps!

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

Thank you all for your answers, help and support. Your answers reminded me that each person reacts differently to these things just as the individual's cancer is different. As usual if we can find out soon after treatment starts whether it is working then the tradeoffs maybe worth it to her. Even though the last treatment stopped working my wife is so glad to be "off" for a while. We have some other trial prospects, so we will be in that in between mode for a little while as we weigh the choices. She is very brave, as you all are.

Thank you all again.

Guest kathleen

Hi Henry, My Mother, 84 diagnosed in August has been on taxotere. She just got her first results back on Halloween Day. Very good results! No new tumors and her primary tumor shrunk by 50%. We are very pleased with Taxotere. She has tolerated it very well. She takes it once every three weeks. Blood counts have been good, she experiences quite a bit of fatique for a week or so and has had hair loss. But other than that, not much at all for symptoms. No fingernail problems, no nausea or body aches. I know it is different for everyone but wanted you to hear some positives. Good luck to you and your wife. You are in our prayers!!!

Kate

I had Jamies experience...one trmt. of taxotere, got pneumonia, then had anxiety attacks from the steroids. (Prednisone,etc.) Had to stop treatment there, but was only adjuvant chemo after surgery, so not like necessary chemo.

Lost some hair in following months, but not enuff to show...but only one treatment. Good luck...you might tolerate them much better, never know. Rich B.

Thank you Rich B,francesbean, and Kathleen for your responses. For now it looks likes the trial with taxotere is off. As is often the case the brain tumor and seisure history have exluded her. Not to say that taxotere isn't a possibility soon anyway. There are other possible trials available, just a matter of finding the right place. Good luck to all!

My husband had 6 cycles of docataxel and cisplatin. He literally had no side effects...CT scan however showed little tumor shrinkage..he is now doing a much stronger dose of taxotere with no second drug..he is only doing 3 cycles and they are 3 weeks apart. He didn't get sick until the second week after the treatment..fever, chills, low white count..pnemonia..hospitalized...

I have heard that if it is given in higher doses it is more effective, but side effects are also there many times....I second the "watch the temp>" and any other side effects...do not take aspirin if there is a temp..we were told it just masks symphoms...call the Dr.

healing prayers sent your way

Stephi