Loss Of Voice

RandyW

:? Deb has lost her voice and we do not know what happened to it, Really. She was in the hospital for almost 3 weeks with C.Diff. During that time she became speechless almost to a whisper at sometimes. Scan shows tumor is shrinking, but because of location it could be resting against the vocal cord nerves causing the inability to speak. Has anyone had this problem and is there anything we can inquire about for possible therapy to recover the vocal ability. Heaven forbid she has to use the phone for an emergency when I am at work! If anyone can offer some assistance it would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Get her an emergency call thingy. They are called different things in different states but the old commercial was "help I've fallen and I can't get up" It will be register to your address and if she is in an emergency situation she pushes the button and the paramedics come. Some are even sophisticated enough that they paramedics talk thru the device and you push one button for ambulance one for next of kin. It is worth checking into for everyones sake. Your local ambulance company will have the info

debe

or how bout this. I'm sure that you have speed dial or recall. If she just needs you have her push the button and sound a airhorn. Or you could have different sounds mean different things. Be creative. Being speechless isnt new just new to those of us that can talk.

debe

This has happened to several members. It is usually from the tumor pressing on a nerve. There are treatments and I know one person went to a speech pathologist to learn how to talk so you could hear him. Consult her doctor and see what he or she thinks. Good luck!

different situation, I suspect, but my mother lost her voice after the emergency surgery she needed for a pericardial effusion. it's not really come back, but the docs attribute it to all the stress she went through and the changes in how she's using her diaphragm and other muscles now that she only has one lung. she's getting a lot out of pulmonary therapy, whcih is helping her use the muscles and her breath differently.

maybe a sidekick or other text messaging system?

good luck with this.

xoxo

amie