WBR/PCI Concern

Nancy B

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place, so please move it if need be.

The WBR thread has me really concerned. I went by the hospital yesterday and picked up the file on my PCI. It says "3600 cGy in 20 fractions of 180 cGy daily to the mid plane". And they are referring to it as "Whole Brain PCI". Can anyone tell me if this is the standard? I am still having balance problems and short term memory loss, but they said that is to be expected. I will probably post this in "Ask the Experts" also, but wanted to get input from any of you that had PCI and what the dose was.

Thanks for your help.

Nancy B

Nancy-PCI is prophylactic cranial irradiation. It is done to the whole brain. I do not know if the amounts you listed are normal tho. Ask your Dr about that.

I saw the string on the WBR and it is scary. Best thing to calm your nerves is ask the Dr if the amount you were given could cause those side effects.

Good Luck, Cindy

Hi Cindy, thanks for replying. Yeah, I knew what PCI is, I guess I just wanted to compare with other people that had PCI and what their dose was. I didn't know til I picked up my file. They were good enough to copy the entire file for me - probably more reading than I really want to do.

My radiation oncologist has left and the new one assigned to me is mostly breast cancer. I don't think she knows what the standard dose is. My surgeon is leaving too - I am feeling very

abandoned :cry:

Anyway, thanks for your reply. Hope all is well with you.

Hugs,

Nancy B

Nancy,

I do think the PCI caused my moms decline, but and a it is a big but, she had fallen a month earlier and suffered a subdural hematoma and had to have brain surgery. I think the PCI was just to much and really wish the doctor would have listen to us, her daughters, when we expressed our concerns. She seemed to be getting her strength back and getting back to more of her old self when she started the PCI. After she finished that she just started getting weaker and weaker.