White Brain Matter Leisons

Judy369

I have sclc w/mets to the brain.I finished Chemo and WBR the end of Dec.2005 My brain MRI in Dec showed only 1 sm lesion left and it was loosing it,s ring.On this MRI new development of lesions seen on the flair image in the white brain matter worry me They do not look to be cancer they have no abnormal enhancements and no mass effect.My Dr.s say it may be from the WBR and we will watch it.Does anyone have any information about this.I posted a profile but I don't know if I did it right.Thanks Judy

i have one brain lesion that is dying from radiation but there is lots of swollen tissue around it. there is another spot nearby that hasn't changed that they are keeping an eye on. They seem to be more worried about the swelling and lung cancer than brain mets. The doc perspective is very different from the patient. they don't deal with the symptoms just write down the prescrip. am not sure the docs are real effective with understanding and dealing with the day by day pain and discomfort. keeping you in my prayers. pammie

When my mom had symptoms from brain mets, they were hard to define for a long time. She had WBR, and when the brain mets came back, they were in the same places but the symptoms were different.

Gamma knife is a good choice if it looks like the mets are growing back. It was hard on my mom because she was severely debilitated even before the gamma knife, but most patients have great results.

Good luck to you. Any downward trend is worth investigating. Maybe your current medical team could send the info to another hospital for another point of view (my mom's onc. did this regularly, which is why we never sought a 2nd opinion).

Do they have you on decadron? That should help with the swelling. Also, as you taper off the decadron, beware of amemia.

They are going to use gamma Knife in Feb. if the one leison is still in the brain.But they can not tell me what the leisons in the white brain matter are and since I am not having a problem with them they are just going to watch them.They say it may be damage from the WBR.But they don't really know.I am on Dilantin 100mg 3x a day but I was taken off Dexamethasone 4mg 2x a day a few weeks after WBR was over I have no swelling and have had no seizure activity since the one but because of the leison left they keep me on the anti-seizure medicine.This is the only medicine I take now except for Synthroid for my thyroid and Aciphex for my stomach.I have been taking Synthroid for years.I sit here on my computer for hours reading the post so many of you have gone through so much more than I have with side effects and other things I wish I could post more but it takes me a while.I don't type well and my spelling leaves much to be desired. Thanks for all you are doing on this board it is the best I have seen and I have not even began to see it all.Judy

Judy,

Don't ever let worry about spelling and grammar keep you from posting your questions or concerns. We all make mistakes from time to time, and really, no one here is going to "grade" you. We all have at least some idea of what you are facing. You hang in there.