Topotecan

Karen44

Hello all

It's been a long time since I have posted so much going on.

My husband(Joe) just had another CT scan that revealed new mets to liver,kidneys,pancreas,spleen.

Also a new tumor found in abdomen.

They have started him on Topotecan,I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with this drug,if so would you be willing to share your experience with me?

Also my Joe has not had anything to eat for the last two weeks other than Ensure plus,he take four to five cans of this a day,his onco has put him om Megace and Marinol,he still has no appetite??!!

Does anyone know of any other drug they could prescribe for him to increase his appetite??

-----------------------------------------------------

May 05 dx with large mass right lung

May 05 scope done results negative for cancer

June 05 needle biopsy confirms SCLC

June 05 hospitalized for superior vena cava syndrome,cisplatin/etoposide started.Hospitalized for 10 days.

July 05 discharged from hospital continue with chemo and radiation

August 05 radiation complete 39 cycles

September 05 chemo complete 10 cycles

Sept 05 new scan shows good response with chemo

Oct 05 stable dx

Nov 05 presented with facial "tics" MRI of head shows 14 plus mets to brain,plus activity once again in chest

Nov 05 WBR 15 cycles complete,starting cisplatin 3 cycles,then cisplatin/etoposide

Dec 05 continues cisplatin/etoposide

Jan 06 continues cisplatin/etoposide

Feb 06 CT scan reveals new mets kidney,liver,spleen and new tumor to abdomen pancreas.No appetite started on Marinol

Feb 06 started on Topotecan no appetite continues started on Megace continue with Marinol

So sorry to hear that things aren't going better for both of you right now. Dennis was given Topetecan when the Cisplatin stopped working. The Topetecan seemed to be more harsh on his system. It really did a number on his blood counts and it seemed he missed more treatments than he ever got while on Topetecan.

I'm sure this isn't true for everyone and I hope things will go better for you.

Dennis had no luck with either of the medications for appetite that you mentioned. I just tried to focus on lots of liquids while he was not interested in eating. This was three years ago, so I'm sure there is probably something now that will work better.

I'm keeping you both in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies

As for the Decadron,Joe was on heavy doses of this when he was undergoing WBR,as soon as they weaned him off all steroids is when his appetite went south!

We called his onco today and he told us there's nothing else on the market to increase appetite except putting him back on steroids and he stated he doesn't want Joe back on steroids.Joe is to keep using the Marinol and Megace together,but my reasoning is why use them if they do not work?? :?

Joe no longer gets out of bed during the day,only to use the restroom! He is so weak!!Even a trip to the restroom wears him out!!I feel so helpless to see him wasting away and I have no control over this!! :cry:

I hate cancer :x

God Bless

Karen44

-----------------------------------------------------

May 05 dx with large mass right lung

May 05 scope done results negative for cancer

June 05 needle biopsy confirms SCLC

June 05 hospitalized for superior vena cava syndrome,cisplatin/etoposide started.Hospitalized for 10 days.

July 05 discharged from hospital continue with chemo and radiation

August 05 radiation complete 39 cycles

September 05 chemo complete 10 cycles

Sept 05 new scan shows good response with chemo

Oct 05 stable dx

Nov 05 presented with facial "tics" MRI of head shows 14 plus mets to brain,plus activity once again in chest

Nov 05 WBR 15 cycles complete,starting cisplatin 3 cycles,then cisplatin/etoposide

Dec 05 continues cisplatin/etoposide

Jan 06 continues cisplatin/etoposide

Feb 06 CT scan reveals new mets kidney,liver,spleen and new tumor to abdomen pancreas.No appetite started on Marinol

Feb 06 started on Topotecan no appetite continues started on Megace continue with Marinol