Can someone confirm a stage for me

Guest Sally

Hello, I just want to check that I have the correct "stage" for my brother. He has an adenocarcinoma that has spread to his diaphram. I have looked up various research tools and think this is stage IIIB as it hasn't spread to different regions. Is this correct? :?

My brother won't let me ask any questions like that when the doctor is around (teenager). :roll:

(I pray every day that someone, somewhere will find a cure. I picture a man working alone in some laboratory in a far away place and can picture his excitment when he realises he has found the cure! - not very PC I know!)

Sally,

I did a lot of research on cancer stages when my dad was diagnosed. (The doctor never told him about the stages or where my dad ranked). Based on everything I've read, it sounds like your brother is at Stage II, most likely IIA. Try the link below and see if it provides any additional information.

www.nci.nih.gov/cancerinfo/pdq/treatmen ... Keypoint10

Let me know if you have more questions. I'll try and help.

Joe

Thank you so much for your reply Joe. I really thought he was stage III because it is inoperable/incurable. I thought stage II had a chance.

Glad to hear that your father is doing well. It has given me such hope coming across this site.

I also have another question. When people refer to "rounds" of chemotherapy, what exactly do they mean? My brother had chemo 4 times between May and July. Is that 1 or 4 rounds? I'm really confused about the terminology and any help would be great. Thanks, Sally

Hi Sally,

ALL stages are curable and long term survivable, never give up hope. Look around this board, you'll see lots of late stage folks kicking about!

At age 18, he has a LOT of fight and kick some of us old geezers don't have.

I never had chemo, I can't answer that question for you, but just wait, you'll get a ton of responses.

Gina D.

Sally,

The way I understand it is that each series of chemo treatments is a round. There is no limit as to how many treatments = a round but is seems to be based on a few different factors. A new round sometimes starts after each new scan or when the meds are changed. Basically, there are no rules.

I also agree with Gina. This site is full of people who have beat cancer. If you start to believe that it can't be beat, you are over 1/2 way to losing the fight. Always believe that your brother can beat this!

My dad is also a stage IIIb it supposedly hasnt spread either but it is in the lymph nodes around the lung region. He was dx last year and went though chemo and radiation. It seems the combination of drugs had dramatically improved his lifestyle.. we keep praying everyday. God Bless you and your brother. =)

Hi Joe,

Just to let you know that it has been confirmed that my brother is stage IIIB. It is in his right lung, glands and diaphragm.....

Thanks for your Help.

Hope you and your family are doing well.

Thanks to Gina and ChristyMike too.

Keep in touch

Sally :wink: