Steve Diagnosed with SCLC

Hello - Several times a day, I check this site for new posts, trying to gain as much information as I can. I have learmed a lot here, so now is time for me to tell my story. I'll have a few questions at the end.... After 40 years of smoking, my fiance stopped smoking 10 months ago, citing his reason as to prolong OUR life together. He is a lifelong asthmatic, had quad by-pass, 2 heart attacks, stroke and is Type 2 diabetic. We didn't really "catch on" after Christmas when it became more difficult for him to catch his breath after bending over or his non-productive dry cough. He was very pale and extremely fatigued. We raise parrots and we thought it was having the Cockatoos in the computer room, aggravating his asthma. On February 10, his ENT put him on 2 more asthma and an allergy med. February 21 he went to his family physician with no improvement. Chest X-ray indicated severe pneumonia. He was given an antibiotic injection, antibiotic and decongestant prescriptions. He returned 2 consecutive days for injections. Follow-up X-ray on the 24th showed that the "pneumonia" was actually more dense, so a CTs of chest, abdomen and pelvis were ordered. Air space disease of 2/3 of the right lung and mediastinal lymphadenopathy was indicated, with lymph node sizes ranging in size from sub centimeter to 4.5cm, with most being in the 2 - 3cm range. Two liver lesions were 5mm and 3cm - one adrenal lesion was 2cm, but the left adrenal gland was enlarged. Then, a bronchoscopy that proved our greatest fear - SCLC. A positive side is that the bone scan, brain scan and bone marrow tests were negative. His oncologist offered him the opportunity to participate in a Phase II clinical study, which he agreed to. His treatment is etoposide (VP-16) & carboplatin for 3 days, on a 21-day cycle. His trial drug is Aptosyn (Exisulind) that is taken by mouth twice a day, every day for a total of 40 weeks. He finished his 3rd chemo treatment March 14 with no side effects. His first follow-up blood work was yesterday with normal ranges for WBC, RBC and platelets. Bloodwork is to be repeated tomorrow. The day of his first chemo treatment, his color was back to normal and his breathing had greatly improved. Now, he has a slight more cough, but the oncologist said that is normal from the chemo as well as what he said was the body getting rid of the dead cells. Any comments on that?

The biopsy report from the bronchopscopy stated "severe crush artefact." What is a crush artefact?

What is a normal range for a tumor marker? Does the tumor marker change as the tumors shrink?

I look forward to being a part of this "family", but like all of you, wish we could have "met" under different circumstances.

Hi DCastle,

I'm sorry to hear that Steve was diagnosed with lung cancer but I am so glad to hear that he is doing so well. It is amazing how the chemo helps so quickly. My Mom has SCLC too and she is doing very well. Well I just wanted to say welcome and I will keep you and Steve in my prayers!

Laurie :)

DCastle -

Steve's treatment sounds real similair to mine, except my tumors are/were confined to the left lung. I had the VP16 and carboplatin in the same cycle. They started daily radiation for 6 weeks after the 3rd round of chemo. (They can only treat with radiation when all the tumors are close together).

I'm not sure about the coughing - although my doctor's keep being amazed that I'm NOT coughing more........so it must be expected.

The "crushed" business is because any time they go down the throat and "scrape" the tissue for samples, it gets "crushed". My doctor wasn't happy seeing that all over my biopsy report either and ordered a needle aspiration biopsy (yep - needle thru the chest) to confirm which type of cancer we were dealing with before starting treatment.

I hope Steve sees wonderful results with the VP16 and carboplation - it's done very well for me.

SandyS

Sandy - do you mean that the tissue specimen for biopsy gets crushed? I'm assuming they range from mild - moderate - severe, etc. Does the "severe crush artefact" diminish the tissue quality for sampling more than a "mild crush artefact" would?

I'm glad you're having great results with your chemo, too. Steve's pulmonologist said that he would have chemo & radiation. After all the reading here and elsewhere, I see that radiation is only possible if there are no mets. Makes me wonder whythe pulmonologist didn't know/say that. Also, the lesions on Steve's liver and adrenal gland were not biopsied. The CT report said the "lesions are suspicious of metastatic disease." So, the doctors are just assuming.....

Hi,

My mom has SCLC also. I remember seeing something about crush artifact on her biopsy also. I *think* SCLC tends to bleed and fall apart very quickly when biopsied.

My mom's story is similar, pneumonia that didn't clear, which led to cat scan which found the cancer. She had lymph node involvement and blood vessel involvement also.

She just completed her third chemo of VP-16 and Carboplatin. She felt relief almost immediately following her first treatment.

She is doing great now, feels great, and just got back a great cat scan report. Her tumors have decreased significantly. :D So there is lots of hope.:)

Welcome to this group, there is lots of support here!!!!! I will keep your fiance in my prayers.

Steve's pulmonologist said that he would have chemo & radiation. After all the reading here and elsewhere, I see that radiation is only possible if there are no mets. Makes me wonder whythe pulmonologist didn't know/say that.

Hi DCastle,

I'm concerned about your comment regarding radiation treatments. When you meet with the Radiation doctor they will explain Steve's treatment to you both, however, it is NOT true that they don't offer radiation if the cancer has spread. My lung cancer had spread to two lymph nodes and I had Chemo and Radiation as well. I just wanted to share with you that it's not uncommon to have both radiation and chemo when lung cancer HAS spread! :)

Best wishes to you and Steve. I wish you both the best and I am sure he will do very well with his treatments. POSITIVE ATTITUDE really helps!!

Good luck and keep up posted.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Connie - there's not going to be a meeting with a Radiation Doctor. The oncologist said that radiation is not possible for the liver nor adrenal gland. Most of Steve's tumors are in 2 of the main bronchial tubes of the right lung, with a small tumor in the upper right lobe. Enlarged lymph nodes are in the center of chest. The oncologist said that if the tumors were contained with the chest, radiation might be possible, but not since the liver and adrenal gland are involved. He also said that surgery is not an option, but he is very optimistic that the chemo and Aptosyn will take care of it. We're praying. Steve is VERY optimisitc and in great spirits. Steve's tumor marker was 41. I will be anxious to hvae the CTs again after the 2nd session of chemo. I get SO impatient!!!

Hi Connie, Dcastle and Deanna,

I thought that the brain radiation was not done on mets but I was thinking that because Steves tumors are in his bronchi and not that big they wouldn't radiate them?? My Mom had her upper right lobe radiated, and the doctor told us radiation damage would probably paralyze it. She also had tumors in the bronchi and the collapsed lung. Her tumor was much larger...But I would think that they wouldn't want to paralyze bronchi?? I'm not sure but that is what i am thinking. Chemo does do wonders on SCLC. Can't hurt to ask.. I wish the best for Steve.

Deanna good to see your back! I was wondering how you and Mom were doing! :D

Take care all

Laurie

Dear DCastle,

Okay, that explains it. I guess I didn't have all the facts from your first message. I know how this can be soooo confusing at times!! And yet, I hear things like one person has had this and yet they won't do it for someone else, with the same dx.s, so that adds to our confussion!! :?:?

Good luck and I'm glad the Onc explained all this. Far be it for ME to try and make sense out of this journey we are all thrown into!! Just when I think I have things figured out, something pops up and changes the game plan!!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,