Platelet Advice

ursol

Tonight my baby banged her head against my hand with very little force and I immediately bruised up instantly. I'm assuming my platelets are down. After the first round of Chemo, counts were still perfect, I will have my blood taken tomorrow and round three starts Tuesday.

Is there anything I can do as far as diet to keep my platelets as normal as possible or is this just something that happens and there is nothing I can do?

Lilly

Lilly,

Tell them when you get your blood tested, and your concern. If your platlets are too low, then you probably won't be having chemo. My husband had that problem last month, his got dangerously low and he ended up having a platlet transfusion, which the only thing that bothered him was that he had to wait a couple of weeks before his platlets got up an acceptable level for chemo. They'll be able to tell you tomorrow. Wishing you good luck!!! :)

Grace

Chemo is so hard on the red and white blood cells, as well as platelets.

Bruising can also be a sign of low Red blood cells (I only know this because I bruise very easily, I usually wake up with a new bruise every morning from sleeping) and that is from anemia or low red blood cells.

As far as dietary things to help, I can't think of any that could counter act the effects of chemo. The only thing I can think of is that iron aids in the production of red cells so make sure you are getting enough iron.

Will say prayers that all goes well with your blood tests, and that it doesn't delay your treatment.