Mum diagnosed.

Guest jana

Hi. I have read this message board over the last few weeks and thought I would like to be part of it now. My Mum was diagnosed with lung cancer six weeks ago. About two weeks ago, we found out that she is Stage IV. She is meeting with her oncologist this week, and her and Dad are doing pretty well at keeping it together, but it is so hard for all of us. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a treatment called Tronado?

Thanks

Jana,

Welcome to the board and so sorry your mom is the reason for your post.

I have never heard of Tronado? Maybe some others have.

Being new to this LC you may want to go to Blochcancer.org to get you somewhat knowledgeable on this disease and the treatments available. It is very good for getting one started on this long and hard road....

Will add your mom to my prayer list....God Bless

Hi Norme

Thanks for the reply. I am also sorry to read about your spouse. Thankyou for the website you listed and I have had a look at it. They are not going to operate on Mum at all. The only treatment option that has been suggested is chemotherapy, so that doesn't really make me feel like they are particularly positive about the outcome. This is why my Dad is looking in too all sorts of alternative approaches including oxygen therapy, nutritional therapy, intravenous vitamin C and Tronado. I think Tronado is a radiation therapy treatment, but it is not in widespread use. I seem to have lots of ups and down with dealing with this. Some days it nearly feels like it isn't happening, and then other days I feel so overwhelmed with it, it is like it is the ONLY thing happening. I am trying hard to read all about Stage IV survivors and stories of hope and courage. This site has so many wonderful as well as so many tragic stories. The courage of all the people is amazing and I feel very lucky to have found it. You are all in my thoughts and hopes.

Jana,

Have they said what kind of lc you mom has? Is it sclc or nsclc? I know it is extremely hard on the whole family when this occurs with one of our loved ones. But, we have to try all different treatments in the hopes that one of them will be the right one.

As for radiation treatments, my husband had some radiation and chemo at the beginning then as the cancer met'd to different areas he had more radiation and more chemo but not together...I don't know if this is what you are refering to or not.

I feel for everyone who just starts out knowing about lc in the family or within themselves because it is so overwhelming and frightening at the beginning. Hang in there for your mom and after she gets started with whatever treatments she will have, it will start to become a wee bit easier to deal with because that is when the fight begins between the cancer and survival...

Hi, and thanks for the replies. It is so nice to have this support. Mum has a Stage IV NSCLC. She has a tumour in her left lung, mets to bone and lymph nodes. She in inoperable, and the only treatment being offerred is chemotherapy. She is looking at alternative treatments to then decide what the best option is. It is so hard to find a balance betweeen knowing the odds look pretty crap but also holding on to hope. I don't really know how to do that. I know that I am just so scared my Mum is going to die way earlier than she should and never know my children etc. etc. I had a dream last night that we went shoe shopping. Such a simple dream yet I sobbed and sobbed when I woke up and remembered it. Sometimes it is just all so overwhelming. The doctors have not yet given Mum a predicted timeframe and I really don't want to know. How would they really know anyway? They base it on experience and knowledge I know, but I don't believe they can predict this for certain and furthermore what is the point it knowing. I so hope they don't tell Mum and Dad this information and I definitely don't want to know. This has taught me one important thing and that is we just need to love the people we love and love them as hard as we can. Anyway, I am rambling now. Thank you for your thoughts and my thoughts are with all of you also.

Jana,

I have found out all throughout this ordeal and when my mom, dad and brother all went through this that you don't care about the odds. they are only a guess from past experiences and that is all. they gave my dad two months to live back in 1973 after all the chemo treatments ended. He lasted 3 days. Don't go by any of it. Just go day by day the days your mom is feels good enjoy them with her. On the days that are bad, hold on to her and pray. Hopefully the bad days only last 24 hours.

Some people go through chemo and go back to work each day, how they do this I sure don't know but some do. Your mom may be one that has an ok time with it. Maybe if the tumor shrinks some then maybe they can operate. This has been done to many also. Maybe the chemo will put the cancer in remission. We all pray for that one. But whatever way it goes, like i say, enjoy only today with her and don't go into tomorrow. When tomorrow comes then it will be today again....Hang on, it is a very bumpy ride...So glad you have your dad at your side to ride it out with you....and you also have the people on this board....God Bless