leptomeningeal carcinomatosis

Brandie721

Click on the following links to be redirected where possible. I hope this may give you an idea of something to ask Onc about.

Here are some possibilities to ask about;

1) http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00284180

Clinical trials are very important. Participants in my book are pioneers not guineau pigs. This one is recruiting. we have members here who have been and are in Clinical trials. These are things to ask your Moms Oncologist about.

Here s some more info regarding treatment

A number of other therapies are under development.

Mafosfamide is a form of cyclophosphamide that is active intrathecally and has little neurotoxicity aside from headaches, but only phase II trials have been conducted.

Diaziquone is effective in hematologic tumors. Adverse effects include headaches and immunosuppression. It can be given at a dosage of 2 mg twice weekly.

Another drug, 4-hydroperoxycyclophosphamide (4-HC) is in phase I trials and is apparently effective in treating medulloblastoma.

Topotecan, a topoisomerase I inhibitor, is in phase I trials.

A drug available for high-dose systemic administration, 6-mercaptopurine (6-MP), has shown efficacy in some patients.

Intrathecal busulfan, currently in phase I trials, may be active against cyclophosphamide-resistant neoplasms and other tumors.

Another drug, 3-(4-amino-2-methyl-5-pyrimidinyl) methyl-1-(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea hydrochloride (ACNU) is modestly effective in animal studies; however, it is neurotoxic and not yet available for use in humans.

Immunotoxins, such as monoclonal antibodies coupled with a protein toxin or radioisotope, seem effective and are being studied.

Gene therapy based on the herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase gene combined with ganciclovir is under study but not yet available.

Surgical Care:

Placement of a ventriculoperitoneal shunt may be necessary in patients with symptomatic increased ICP (ie, severe intractable headache, papilledema, stupor, repetitive plateau waves on EEG), if the increased ICP is not ameliorated by steroids.

Presence of a shunt is an indication for administration of intrathecal chemotherapy by means of LP rather than an Ommaya device to ensure that the medication reaches the basal cisterns and spinal leptomeninges.

I am not sure of the entire history here like point or type of origin, But there may be something in here in 1 of these 7 articles. They are based on where ths cancer started I think.

3) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... PDAT%5D%29

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and Family and keep us posted on what we can help with.